You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-14 15:56:06

fishonadish

Gnome 3 - Keyboard - tapping 'shift' key behaviour

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is something triggered by tapping the shift key multiple times in gnome 3? I think there used to be some accessibility feature that was triggered by this, but I can't recall.

When playing a full screen game that uses the shift key a lot, I hear the gnome alert sound after a while, and it eventually causes all key presses to trigger the alert sound and do nothing. I can't find a way out short of a hard reboot.

When using a normal gnome desktop the shift key gives the alert sound after a few taps, so I assume something like a shift lock is being triggered.  Does anyone know how I could turn this off to stop it interfering with the game?

Thanks.

Fishonadish

#2 2011-04-14 16:02:34

kolos

Re: Gnome 3 - Keyboard - tapping 'shift' key behaviour

this?
http://library.gnome.org/users/user-gui … board-a11y
when playing sometimes i trigger the "Only accept long keypresses", (without beeps) i just press shift for 8 seconds and is back to normal
i have all the universal access options turn off (but pressing shift for 8 seconds activates the damn thing), maybe you have "slow keys - beep when a key is pressed" on

Last edited by kolos (2011-04-14 17:39:41)

och noes!

#3 2011-04-14 16:16:10

fishonadish

Re: Gnome 3 - Keyboard - tapping 'shift' key behaviour

Thanks kolos. The options are a bit different - is that the gnome 2 configuration?

Anyway, I've checked in "Universal Access Settings" on the "Typing" tab, and there isn't anything enabled, so it oughtn't be that.
However I notice that if I tap shift 5 times, then the next typed character is capitalised, so it seems to behave like some sort of shift lock.

I can't find anything obvious in accessibility or keyboard settings, and I had a look through dconf.  Anyone have any ideas?

Fishonadish

Edit: Apparently sticky keys works with 5 taps of the shift key, so it must be this.  However, it's switched off in the settings, and in dconf and gconf (no idea which of these is in use for what, but both seem to come in to play).

Last edited by fishonadish (2011-04-14 16:22:17)

Board footer