You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-14 16:43:46

FlyingIsFun1217

HL-2170W Through USB?

Hey,

New user to Arch, but so far I haven't had much problem getting it set up. There is one thing that has become an issue though...

I noticed a guide to install the Brother HL-2170W wireless printer on the wiki. Awesome, that's what I have! Except, it seems the instructions are only for setting it up as a networked printer. Because of my university's strange policy on not allowing wireless hubs of any sort (including printers), I have to run it as a USB printer.

I installed brother-cups-wrapper-common, brother-lpr-drivers-common, and brother-hl2170w from AUR, and unplugged and plugged in my printer, to no avail. I have tried using different combinations of usb://dev/usb/lp0 and usb://Brother/HL-2170W for the "Device URI" in the cups interface in attempt to use the installed brother driver, but nothing seems to be working, the system never finds the printer.

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do at this point, and am wondering if anyone else has any clues as to what to do to get this work. I always used to use Ubuntu, which picked it up automatically.

Thanks!
FlyingIsFun1217

#2 2011-04-14 17:34:43

FlyingIsFun1217

Re: HL-2170W Through USB?

Spoke too soon, simply forgot to blacklist usblp.

Tip for those attempting the same setup in the future: unplug printer, install brother-cups-wrapper-common, brother-lpr-drivers-common, and brother-hl2170w from AUR, blacklist usblp, and plug in your printer. Automatic configuration.

FlyingIsFun1217

Board footer