You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-16 14:42:21

Gogy

Unable to start Gnome3, green screen

Hello. I have problem with starting Gnome3. When I log in to my account I get green screen and nothing on it.
I have open source drivers, xf86-video-ati

Here is my xsession-errors file:

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-q6mXjR
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/keyring-q6mXjR/gpg:0:1
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-q6mXjR/ssh
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-q6mXjR/ssh

(gnome-settings-daemon:3629): keybindings-plugin-WARNING **: Key binding (custom2) is invalid

(gnome-settings-daemon:3629): keybindings-plugin-WARNING **: Key binding (magnifier) is incomplete

(gnome-settings-daemon:3629): keybindings-plugin-WARNING **: Key binding (screenreader) is incomplete

(gnome-settings-daemon:3629): keybindings-plugin-WARNING **: Key binding (onscreenkeyboard) is incomplete

(gnome-settings-daemon:3629): common-plugin-WARNING **: Key 0xff61 (keycodes:  218)  with state 0x0 (resolved to 0x0)  has no usable modifiers (usable modifiers are 0x140000ed)
gnome-session[3592]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-shell.desktop' killed by signal

Any ideas what to do? Thx.

btw, if you need any additional information please let me know.

Last edited by Gogy (2011-04-16 14:43:44)

#2 2011-04-16 22:40:02

omega1226

Re: Unable to start Gnome3, green screen

Does that driver have 3d acceleration support? I had some similar problems using the Nouveau drivers (open source Nvidia) with gnome 3. I swapped over to the regular Nvidia drivers and it worked flawlesly. Unless you have a thing against proprietary I would reccomend at least trying it haha.

Arch is the reason I stopped downloading different distro ISO's, burning cd's and repartitioning my computer to the point I had 6 versions of linux on. Now I still have to reinstall I just have one CD and keep the partition scheme.

#3 2011-04-20 01:33:46

vladthedog

Re: Unable to start Gnome3, green screen

I had/have the same issue when i installed Gnome3.  I am running all the "stuff" from the radeon repo:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79509

and was still having issues.  I created the radeon.sh file they mention to get Gallium working for the whole system (about 2/3 way down in the first post, you create a file in /etc/profile.d/ )  It works now, but I'm having other issues.  if I # out that line and reboot, it won't get past the initial screen, so for what ever reason I need to be using Gallium in order to use Gnome 3.

Board footer