You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-16 20:13:31

wilhelms

Arch installation on Macbook 3,2

I'm having some trouble following these instructions. I've got rEFIt installed, I can boot to the archboot install disk, I've got everything partitioned, and I believe my arch installation was successful, but grub never installs correctly. I've tried installing both from the arch installation and using the command above, neither seems to work. (arch installation of grub reports success but it never starts, the above command indicates that grub-install is not installed). rEFIt does not recognize the arch installation (and, if this is related, whenever I've tried the partition repair tool in rEFIT, attempting to boot to any drive reports "missing operating system," including when I try to boot the archboot usb disk again (which I find a little odd)).

Happy to report any output, but at this point I can only report what I get from the archboot install cd or the original mac osx installation since nothing will boot the arch partition. Also, it's a macbook air 3,2 with the solid state drive.

Thanks for any help!

#2 2011-04-16 20:43:09

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch installation on Macbook 3,2

wilhelms, can you list your partition scheme and the exact (manual) grub command you issued?

(Topic splitted off to a dedicated thread)

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2011-04-17 04:38:03

orez
Website

I am installing arch on my Air too~~ and what you described happened here ...
i installed grub-efi-x86-64~~~
the thing is~~~
during install, the arch will mount /boot partition twice:
so:
if your /boot dir is on your linux partition, the grub will be installed to /boot/efi/efi/grub/,  of course refit wil not recognize it...i believe this is your case... (i tried to build to /dev/sda5/efi/grub/ but reift still donot recognize it, i use ext4, this might be the reason...)

if you mount /dev/sda1 EFI partition as your /boot, as ArchBoot mount the partition twice , actually the grub installed to /dev/sda1/EFI/grub, ~~ refit will detect that~~~ but the "prefix"  in grub.efi is still "(hd1,1)/efi/efi/grub/",you might need to reset it in rescue grub, recommend you to install grub-efi manually to /dev/sda1/efi ~~~

Last edited by orez (2011-04-17 04:38:56)

找个明媚的日子,出去乞讨吧...

#4 2011-04-18 04:00:38

wilhelms

Thanks very much for the quick response!

I had been largely following the instructions from http://www.dm9.se/?p=398 , though it starts to be a little less helpful around the grub installation, so I then found the previous thread we were on.

My partition table is:
1      105MB     ext4     Apple HFS/HFS+
2      105MB     ext4     Linux/Windows data
3      4295MB     linux-swap     Linux swap
4      92.2GB      ext4     Linux/Windows data
5      210MB     fat32     EFI System Partition
6      24.2GB     hfsx     Apple HFS/HFS+

I had left a ~24gb partition to reinstall OSX, which I did once I ran into trouble with the grub installation. Reinstalling OSX split the partition into the final two, the fat32 and hfsx.

My attempt to do a manual install was just using the command on the previous thread (though I corrected the device to be sda2 for my partition table):
mount -o bind /dev /tmp/install && mount -o bind /proc /tmp/install/proc && grub-install /dev/sda2 --no-floppy --force
mount: mount point /tmp/install/proc does not exist.
-bash: grub-install: command not found

Looking back it seems kind of silly to have tried (I guess I thought that grub-install was part of the archboot install disk?) but I didn't find better instructions for these circumstances.

Again, any help is appreciated, thanks for the reply!

#5 2011-04-18 09:17:08

orez
Website

wilhelms wrote:

mount -o bind /dev /tmp/install && mount -o bind /proc /tmp/install/proc && grub-install /dev/sda2 --no-floppy --force
mount: mount point /tmp/install/proc does not exist.
-bash: grub-install: command not found

i guess you didnot chrooted to the new system:
~~~chroot: 

mount -o bind /dev /tmp/install/dev
mount -t proc none /tmp/install/proc
chroot /tmp/install

if /tmp/install/proc does not exsit, mkdir.

in the thread openBSD posted, i believe they are using grub-legacy/grub2-bios,
for grub2 install, please ref: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2

what i posted before..... i am trying boot linux in pure EFI mode ~~~

Last edited by orez (2011-04-18 09:32:23)

找个明媚的日子,出去乞讨吧...

#6 2011-04-19 04:00:58

wilhelms

Grub installation was successful! (The first time i visited that page, I missed the "Installing GRUB2 during Arch Linux installation" section and skipped directly to the "Bootloader Installation for UEFI systems," which left me confused.

Unfortunately, now that grub loads, after Arch Linux is selected, i get the error:
error: no such partition
error: you need to load the kernel first

I edited the grub.cfg file to reflect which partition my arch installation is on, but I still get this error.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help!

#7 2011-04-19 08:33:42

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

wilhelms, you're probably pointing it to the wrong partition. You can paste the relevant part of your grub.cfg here if you like.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#8 2011-04-22 13:01:34

orez
Website

wilhelms wrote:

Grub installation was successful! (The first time i visited that page, I missed the "Installing GRUB2 during Arch Linux installation" section and skipped directly to the "Bootloader Installation for UEFI systems," which left me confused.

Unfortunately, now that grub loads, after Arch Linux is selected, i get the error:
error: no such partition
error: you need to load the kernel first

I edited the grub.cfg file to reflect which partition my arch installation is on, but I still get this error.

Any more thoughts?

use root=hd1~~~

找个明媚的日子,出去乞讨吧...

#9 2011-04-22 18:08:48

wilhelms

Got the grub/partition issue solved (I started over from scratch because I had extra partitions, and because the partition numbering wasn't in the same order as they appear on the disk).

The error I get now appears after grub loads and the first selection is made:

Booting 'Arch Linux, with Linux vmlinuz26'

Loading Linux vmlinuz26 ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...
error: no suitable mode found.
Booting however

The relevant part of my grub.cfg file is:
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Arch Linux, with Linux vmlinuz26' --class archlinux --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        load_video
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,gpt4)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 79e6abeb-fa77-4c10-ba8c-9fafac1d6fbc
        echo "Loading Linux vmlinuz26 ..."
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/79e6abeb-fa77-4c10-ba8c-9fafac1d6fbc ro  quiet
        echo "Loading initial ramdisk ..."
        initrd  /boot/kernel26.img
}

Of course, there may be more that I don't realize is relevant at the moment.

Thanks for all your help so far!

#10 2011-06-11 10:32:17

skodabenz
Banned

wilhelms wrote:

error: no suitable mode found.
Booting however

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ms_in_UEFI

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

Board footer