You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-18 08:20:00

drahnr

make LUKS stop asking for same passwd for different partitions

I got plenty of hard disks and some have the same passwd. At bootup I get asked for each harddisk's password, which means I have to tpye in the same passwd multiple times. When I was using fedora, the passwd was remembered and checked if the following LUKS partitions were openable with one of the passwds I already supplied.

Can anyone give me a hint how to achieve this?

Note: Keyfiles, Writing cleartext into /etc/crypttab are not considerable options

Thanks!

Last edited by drahnr (2011-04-18 08:21:28)

#2 2011-04-18 21:04:14

aksdb

Re: make LUKS stop asking for same passwd for different partitions

Why are keyfiles not a considerable option? LUKS allows you  to have several key slots, so you could have your usual password in one slot and a keyfile in another slot. Then you store that keyfile on one of the encrypted partitions. Once this is unlocked using your password, crypttab can use the keyfile from that partition to unlock the others without taking away the possibility to mount them separately with a password.

#3 2011-04-18 21:06:09

drahnr

I'd rather keep the keys in my brain than on disk. The system is running webstuff and is accessable from the outside and therefor (call me paranoid or not) rather keep the keys in my brain.

#4 2011-04-19 05:54:47

Kirurgs

I have quite the same problem, but as I reboot very rarely, I can live with it... I would like to actually put keys on USB stick, so when computer boots, I need to insert USB key and it works...
If I remember correctly, Debian had some hooks in initrd to allow stuff written before asking password for LUKS.

Board footer