You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-17 02:20:27

KENTOSI
Website

Bunch of newbie questions ...

Hi all,

These forums have been really helpful in getting my Archlinux working, but I have a few questions still:

1. I have USB 2.0.  So if i install the ehci-hcd modile, do I still need to install uhci-hcd?  I guess it shouldn't really matter if I do, but I just want to know.

2. How do I disable ipv6?  It's annoying.  When I access websites it takes about 7 seconds to connect each time.  I know that in firefox I can go into "about:config" and disable it by searching for "ipv6", but I want to disable it as a whole so that it doesn't get in the way of other net utilitiues (ie - pacman!!)

3. With pacman - and I guess I must have missed something - I couldn't get anything to work.  Then in these forums some guy posted commands like "-Sy".  Now where did that "y" come from and why doesn't pacman mention it when i type in pacman -h?  So frustrating :-)

4 - With pacman I want to get gnome 2.10.  How can I check the version that it's gonna download?  Typing pacman -Sy gnome doesn't mention the vesion.

THanks guys!!  Loving my Archlinux so far (especially, after 3 hours, I finally got internet connection working, w00h00!!)

~gautam

#2 2005-04-17 02:48:37

Stinky

Re: Bunch of newbie questions ...

1:  Not sure.  somebody else will have to answer that one.
2:  To disable IPv6 you'd probably have to roll your own kernel and take it out. 
3:  The y tells pacman to download a fresh copy of the master package list. 

man pacman

4:  pacman -S gnome will download the latest version of gnome.  not sure what that is, i don't use it.  Oh...quick search for gnome on archlinux.org tells me it'd be 2.10.0.

#3 2005-04-17 03:19:35

KENTOSI
Website

Ok cool thanks.

Turns our that with pacman after you hit yes it displays all the packages and dependencies along with their version numbers.

I've got gnome installed.  Now, to get it working  lol

Thanks again!

~gautam

#4 2005-04-17 03:35:12

Stinky

No problem!  Hope you enjoy Arch.  It's THE best distro out ther IMHO.

#5 2005-04-17 07:43:03

shadowhand
Website

#4:

pacman -Qi [package]

will tell you what version of the package is installed with all kinds of other things.

pacman -Qs [package]

will help you find packages if you don't know the proper name.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#6 2005-04-17 08:40:39

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Stinky wrote:

2:  To disable IPv6 you'd probably have to roll your own kernel and take it out.

(eliott@hermes ~)$ cat /boot/kconfig26 | grep -i "v6"
CONFIG_IP_TCPDIAG_IPV6=y
CONFIG_IPV6=y
CONFIG_IPV6_PRIVACY=y
CONFIG_IPV6_TUNNEL=m
# IPv6: Netfilter Configuration
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_IPV6HEADER=m
CONFIG_USB_STV680=m

It does appear so.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2005-04-17 10:32:02

tpowa
Developer

ehci-hcd is for usb2.0 devices only
uhci-hcd is for usb 1.1/0 devices so you will need this if your device does not support 2.0
ohci-hcd  is for usb 1.1/0 devices if you use something else than via,intel chipset

#8 2005-04-17 11:36:32

i3839

2) That delay is caused by buggy DNS servers. A work around is to install and use dnsmasq, see the bottom of this thread of some more info. Using another DNS server may help too. In Firefox it's the variable network.dns.disableIPv6.

3) Pacman uses some main options, like S and R, and suboptions for the main options, like y and u. So if you want help about -Sy then do pacman -Sh, and not pacman -h.

#9 2005-04-17 13:20:22

cascat

Add this line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias net-pf-10 off

to speed DNS lookups.

Cheers

#10 2005-04-17 13:27:29

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

cascat wrote:

Add this line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias net-pf-10 off

to speed DNS lookups.

Cheers

Doesn't that only work if it is being loaded as a module, and not compiled in?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#11 2005-04-17 14:17:02

i3839

cactus wrote:

Doesn't that only work if it is being loaded as a module, and not compiled in?

True, that's why it won't work.

#12 2005-04-17 14:20:51

cascat

cactus:

I don't know the answer to your question.  I am not sure what this command in modprobe.conf does.  What I do know is without this line DNS lookups in all the browsers in Arch is slow and irritating.  Actually, I learned this tip using another distribution where a forum poster suggested there was a problem with IPV6 in the 2.6 kernel and placing this line in modprobe.conf did solve the problem.  I can't verify this info.  My DNS lookups now are nearly instantaneous.  There has been some posts in Arch's forum suggesting this code be added to modprobe.conf.  Maybe you can enlighten me as to what net-pf-10 is.  I would like to know.

cascat

#13 2005-04-17 20:53:27

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

very odd.
"alias some_module off" should make modprobe ignore requests to load that module. Since it is compiled into the kernel, it shound't be "loading". It is in there regardless.

net-pf-10 == network----protocol family----10 (10 means ipv6, 4 is ipx, 5 is appletalk, etc)

EDIT: A simple way to test if you are indeed running ipv6 would be to check and see if you have the following
/proc/net/if_inet6

if the above file exists, you are running ipv6.
ifconfig -a should then show a sit0 device, as well as device 'lo' having 'inet6 addr: ::1/128' in it.
you can also try 'ping6 -c 1 ::1', if you get recieved, then ipv6 is up and running.

I don't think there is a way to disable a compiled in kernel driver, with boot params passed to kernel or otherwise. Recompile is the only way.

I think the Arch kernel should be compiled with ipv6 as a module by default, so that people can indeed turn it off if they want. It could even be set to load by default in modprobe.conf (as part of the kernel pkgbuild), but then at least people could change it.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#14 2005-04-18 01:18:01

KENTOSI
Website

I'll have to try this at home with something dodgy like... lynx.

Firefox on the other hand seems to be running smoothly.  i used the network.dns.disableIPv6 variable.

~gautam

#15 2005-04-18 04:00:40

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Ok, most of this has been answered... but I wanted to throw my responses into the mix...

KENTOSI wrote:

1. I have USB 2.0.  So if i install the ehci-hcd modile, do I still need to install uhci-hcd?  I guess it shouldn't really matter if I do, but I just want to know.

It's device dependant... if you want to connect a usb 1.0 device you need to modprobe the usb 1.0 module (ohci-hcd or uhci-hcd, depending on the hardware)

KENTOSI wrote:

2. How do I disable ipv6?  It's annoying.  When I access websites it takes about 7 seconds to connect each time.  I know that in firefox I can go into "about:config" and disable it by searching for "ipv6", but I want to disable it as a whole so that it doesn't get in the way of other net utilitiues (ie - pacman!!)

I'm not really sure if this is ip6... but I guess you can always build a custom kernel... try looking into some of dibblethewrecker's kernel work...

KENTOSI wrote:

3. With pacman - and I guess I must have missed something - I couldn't get anything to work.  Then in these forums some guy posted commands like "-Sy".  Now where did that "y" come from and why doesn't pacman mention it when i type in pacman -h?  So frustrating :-)

pacman works based on "operations" - an operation is one of the capital letters... so "R" is for remove, "S" is for sync, "A" for add, "U" for upgrade.... if you want to know the options for a given operation, append "h" to it... i.e. "Sh" or "Ah" or "Uh"

KENTOSI wrote:

4 - With pacman I want to get gnome 2.10.  How can I check the version that it's gonna download?  Typing pacman -Sy gnome doesn't mention the vesion.

Arch doesn't work like that... you get the latest version and that's it - you don't decide to get a specific version...

#16 2005-04-20 12:12:58

KENTOSI
Website

Success!!

I used abs, edited the PKGBUILD file to load up "make menuconfig", converted ipv6 into a module, recompiled and installed using pacman.  Too easy!

Net's working nice n fast now.

On a side note, in the menu config for the kernel, it says that ipv6 is "experimental".  If this is the case then why is it in the kernel and not a module?  Just a thought ...

~gautam

#17 2005-04-20 13:26:45

shadowhand
Website

Technically, everyone is supposed to be using IPv6 now, but that hasn't happened because IPv4 is still working. I guess Arch is pushing the technology, just like they should be.

It stinks that IPv6 isn't nearly as stable or as fast as v4, I recompiled last night and got rid of IPv6 as well. sad

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

Board footer