You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-18 18:35:53

badhat

Will Gnome 3 be compatible with OSS4 eventually?

As the title asks, I'm curious if Gnome 3 will be moved into the stable repository while it is still dependent on pulseaudio. I really cannot stand pulseaudio as I keep having trouble with it whereas OSS seemed to just work for me. Are there plans to implement OSS compatibility with Gnome 3?

#2 2011-04-18 19:05:27

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Will Gnome 3 be compatible with OSS4 eventually?

this is not a topic that can be discussed here. this is how gnome developers did it, we cannot do anything regarding this subject.

i guess pulseaudio was the easy solution since adding support for all sound frameworks was a bit too much.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2011-04-18 19:59:06

Sloshy

Yeah, this isn't really the place to ask that; I'd ask it on the mailing list and/or IRC (google can help you find the right one). Pulse, as long as you follow the wiki guide for it, works with virtually everything for me, and the only things that don't give sound output for me are those open-source DOOM engines, but I'm not sure if that's a pulse problem.

#4 2011-04-19 00:45:32

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

There is no OSSv4 backend for pulseaudio as of now (someone might get round to writing one, I wouldn't get my hopes up though). You can of course continue using OSSv4, its just that all your gnome apps won't be able to output sound.

Or you can just set up pulseaudio properly and use it. I've been using it since Ubuntu first put it in with almost no problems over several machines...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer