You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-21 22:37:31

~Middle

cfdisk error, trying to install Arch

When it comes to partition my HDD i have one 500GB partition containing Windows, and 500GB free space, yet when i come to manually set up the partitions using cfdisk i get this error:

FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition partition ends in the final partial cylinder

This stops me from continuing the install all together as i can't set up a partition...

The output of fdisk -l shows everything looking fine except i get this error:

Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.

I am trying to set up a partition through an Ubuntu live CD with Gparted so we will see how that goes, but in the mean time does anybody have any idea what is causing this or a way it can get solved?

Thanks a lot

#2 2011-04-22 16:49:17

mythus
Website

Re: cfdisk error, trying to install Arch

Greetings,

I ran into this issue when setting up my wife's new laptop. It came with windows 7, which she hated, having found linux mch easer for her to use. So She asked me to setup arch linux on her machine, and completely wipe out windows 7.

Well for some reason windows 7 is set up with an invisible partition. cfdisk seems unable to see this partition, and it completely throws it off. Using gparted (on a puppy linux disk I had laying around) was my way around the partitioning issue.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

Board footer