You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-23 03:44:32

Kureno
Website

Geany tries to open all files

Well, this problem is driving me crazy:

Whenever I try to open a downloaded file from the Downloads window in Firefox, it tries to open it with Geany, no matter the file type (rar, tar.gz, mp4, jpg). I initially supposed that was a problem of Firefox, but File Roller also tries to do the same when I press the "Show the files" button after the extraction of some archive.

If I uninstall Geany, then it shows a window saying "Failed to execute the child process geany (no such file or directory)". I tried to set the mime types with mimeopen, and it seems to function, but this doesn't resolve the problem. When I open the file from Thunar or Nautilus, it opens fine, with the correct application, so I don't know how to solve this thing.

I already checked the /.local/share/applications/deafults.list and mimeinfo.cache files, but i haven't found nothing to do.

I'm running Arch x86 without any DE and Openbox as mi WM and GDM.

Any clues?

Still practicing my english. Sorry for any mistakes.

#2 2011-04-23 09:02:05

brebs

Re: Geany tries to open all files

See post.

In Firefox, look at its menu: Edit - Preferences - Applications.

#3 2011-04-24 02:05:54

Kureno
Website

Hmmm... As I say before, doesn't seem to be a Firefox problem, because FileRoller also do that. BTW, in the Firefox preferences window doesn't appear all the file types and changing the ones that appear doesn't help.

I'm still think that is a mime type problem, but I don't find how to fix it :S. I'm sorry, but I don't understand how the post that you have mentioned could help me.

Still practicing my english. Sorry for any mistakes.

#4 2011-04-24 02:15:24

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

User MIME-type association files can be found in "$XDG_DATA_HOME/applications". You can try editing those manually or simply remove them to update your associations.
You could also try using Mimeo to configure them.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer