You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-26 04:23:01

xiaq

Subforums (perhaps) overlap too much

See my post at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=117603. It could (by equal weight) belong to newbie's corner, kernel&hardware, laptop issues, and here. And I can't see an easy judge to decide which is the best subforum to turn to.

#2 2011-04-26 04:37:35

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Subforums (perhaps) overlap too much

I think you should have selected the laptops forum, as it is an issue specific to that type of machine.

# edit: misread the post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2011-04-26 06:13:54

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

xiaq wrote:

See my post at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=117603. It could (by equal weight) belong to newbie's corner, kernel&hardware, laptop issues, and here. And I can't see an easy judge to decide which is the best subforum to turn to.

How would you suggest to improve this?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2011-04-26 07:10:45

xiaq

litemotiv wrote:
xiaq wrote:

How would you suggest to improve this?

By defining the topic of each subforum more clearly. IMHO "laptop issues" is really "kernel & hardware: laptop-specific issues". It could be made a sub-subforum of kernel & hardware(like they did on Ubuntu forum), but I'd prefer to keep the flat structure and merely change the name to reflect the relationship. "Applications and DEs" is better named just "DEs". The Newbie Corner is definitely useful, but sometimes it can be too blur to tell whether a question is newbie-ish or not. It will be awesome if we could work out "THE only true" definition for a newbie. Before that we can try to approximate; for example, we can put up a "graduation test" paper and if you score more than 60%, you're not newbie any more so feel free to post in other subforums. Such a paper could just be a list of common terms and their reference definitions. For example:

GRUB - An advanced bootloader from GNU, the de facto standard bootloader for desktop Linux systems. It has two substantially different versions, the Grub legacy and Grub 2. Arch comes with Grub legacy, by default.

The test taker then may assess him/herself: 5 is "I knew this well", 3 is "I understand all the terms in the statement(like "bootloader", "desktop Linux system") but I didn't know this before", 0 is "it's all Greek to me".

#5 2011-04-26 07:24:39

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

That's an interesting idea xiaq, not so much as an official Arch methodology, but you're welcome to create an unofficial questionnaire in Offtopic to point users to. smile

For all other cases, the moderators are here to help; they may move topics to different subforums if they feel it's appropriate, and as a user you can also report a topic and request it to be moved.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer