You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-28 14:02:13

helmut

No Xclients file (after repairing the filesystem with fsck)

I have the following problem:

After starting my computer the filesystem check failed and the system asked me to repair it manually. I have done that and after this action (which included resetting of some flags etc.) the system could not start my windows manager and complained about not having an Xclients file.

Then I have created a new user and with that new user the login and start up of the windows manager (I use xfce) succeeded without any problems.

Therefore I assume that some necessary files for X are corrupted within my home directory. I have compared .xinitrc and .xsession between my home and the new users home and they are identical.

In the whole system there is no Xclients file.

Has anybody an idea on what went wrong here? I would like to recover my home directory with the possibility to use the windows manager.

PS: I can start the windows manager with "startxfce4" manually and everything seems to be fine. So the problem is: Why does the system not start the windowsmanager automatically? My .xinitrc says "exec startxfce4" but obviously the system does not execute it.

Last edited by helmut (2011-04-28 14:34:12)

Board footer