You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-29 02:10:01

GRem

[SOLVED] Xorg upgrade and pointing devices

I started to notice a certain "jaggy" behavior with my Bamboo Fun tablet (1st gen, the one with the scroll ring) after the upgrade from Xorg 1.9 to 1.10.
When doing gestures in Easystroke, the gesture line came out jaggy, so I tried making circles in Pinta and MyPaint, and the result is the same. If I slowly make the shape, it comes out reasonably well, but due to the slow movement, it's considerably hard to do curves and circles. Here's an image:

circles.png
Notice how the one on the right kinda looks like a stop sign.

I'm sure that the strokes were better before the upgrade, as I regularly use easystroke with the "draw stroke in screen" option switched on. I guess downgrading xorg would fix things, but I want to know if there's a certain setting I can edit to improve the precision before I attempt to do so.

Aside from that, I have an issue with a joypad controller. When connecting it, it automatically works as a pointing device, with the left stick moving the cursor. The xfce mouse settings window shows the joypad in the devices list. I am not sure if this issue started with the 1.10 update, as it's been quite some time since I use the joypad. I think it worked correctly on Xorg 1.7, though. Is there a way to prevent this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GRem (2011-05-28 17:51:58)

#2 2011-04-29 12:31:18

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Xorg upgrade and pointing devices

GRem wrote:

Aside from that, I have an issue with a joypad controller. When connecting it, it automatically works as a pointing device, with the left stick moving the cursor. The xfce mouse settings window shows the joypad in the devices list. I am not sure if this issue started with the 1.10 update, as it's been quite some time since I use the joypad. I think it worked correctly on Xorg 1.7, though. Is there a way to prevent this issue?

Thanks in advance.

There have been changes in the etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-joystick.conf file (from package xf86-input-joystick ) .

it seems that every joystick device is now seen as a mouse and a keyboard by default, as well as a joystick.

I removed xf86-input-joystick, and have had no problems since then.
(programs that use joysticks tend not to need the xf86-input-joystick driver)

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2011-04-29 12:35:22)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2011-04-29 18:28:08

GRem

Just removed the xf86-input-joystick package. And yes, it worked. Thanks a lot for the help!

#4 2011-05-28 17:51:25

GRem

Update on the tablet issue:

Seems it was a problem with xf86-input-wacom: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de … tid=525124
Current version in extra (10.9) has the bug, so I switched to testing (11.0) instead. Issue is gone, and a certain unresponsiveness in the tablet buttons is also fixed.

Marking as Solved. smile

Board footer