You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-30 07:36:28

oldtimeyjunk
Website

Arch Linux Won't Boot! Why o' Why?!

So, this is prorably the fifth time installing Arch Linux and I've got everything exact.

- Boot is the first partition
- I've configured GRUB properly
- I've installed the basic packages
- I've partitioned everything properly
- Grub is set to boot

But, still, something is stopping GRUB from booting (even though /boot is set to "boot"). There has been no OS on there before - I'm running it in VirtualBox.

Why is it not working? I'm about to tear my hair out over this!

BTW: I'm using 2010.05.

Please Help!

Josh // Currently a frustrated Linux user

Last edited by oldtimeyjunk (2011-04-30 07:40:29)

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition

#2 2011-04-30 08:48:43

karol
Archivist

Re: Arch Linux Won't Boot! Why o' Why?!

Are you running Arch in VirtualBox? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … lBox_Guest

#3 2011-04-30 09:44:54

ichbinesderelch

we need some error messages to help you, that postn isn't too useful, whats the grub error?

#4 2011-04-30 11:49:05

oldtimeyjunk
Website

There is no error message, GRUB just won't boot. VirtualBox loads and then says "FATAL! Cannot Boot" (or something to that extent). GRUB is set to boot, but it just won't work!!

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition

#5 2011-04-30 12:45:01

oldtimeyjunk
Website

Don't need any more help!
It was because I installed the Bootloader to the wrong place (I stuck it in a partition, which, I know now, your not supposed to do)!

#6 2011-04-30 17:39:13

zertyz
Website

Please mark this as [SOLVED]

[]s

#7 2011-04-30 19:26:39

sudokill

oldtimeyjunk wrote:

Don't need any more help!
It was because I installed the Bootloader to the wrong place (I stuck it in a partition, which, I know now, your not supposed to do)!

Thanks for that, I put my grub on /dev/sda, boots fine but wondered if I should have put it on /dev/sda1

Board footer