You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-30 14:52:34

centos

Make mpd to start automatically as normal user [Solved]

Hi, I'd like to pick up again this issue https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=98863 in a new thread since that one was marked Solved. The .xinitrc solution for starting mpd doesn't work for me, neither does the Stebalien's one. Starting from terminal does the job.
I understand from that post that for me as for GNOME-Shell user the .xinitrc file doesn't do anything. So how is it possible that mpdscribble works? I set it up in .xinitrc file, as wiki says, and it scrobbles my songs (well not now because last.fm is down). Can someone explain to me how is it and how can I force mpd to start automatically? And I don't want to start it as a deamon.

edit: I looked into lastfm.journal file. There's something there, but not songs i listened to this morning. Maybe I started it manually once and forget about it. So please consider the "my .xinitrc partially works" part as "inaccurate", thanks smile

Last edited by centos (2011-04-30 22:10:32)

#2 2011-04-30 15:07:39

lucke

Re: Make mpd to start automatically as normal user [Solved]

You can use gnome-session-properties.

#3 2011-04-30 15:16:10

ewaller
Administrator

I just create a desktop entry in ~/.config/autostart:

ewaller@odin:~ 1014 %cat .config/autostart/mpd.desktop 
[Desktop Entry]
Comment=
Exec=mpd
GenericName=
Icon=system-run
MimeType=
Name=MPD Daemon
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

ewaller@odin:~ 1015 %

Works great on Openbox and Xfce4.  IIRC, it works for KDE.  It should work for the others, but I've never tried.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2011-04-30 15:18:25

ewaller
Administrator

Great, now that I followed your link, I see my solution is the same as Stebalien's.  hmm

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-04-30 15:51:59

centos

Thank you both. Maybe the reason autostart solution didn't work for me was that i used wrong filename. And I hope that for mpdscribble this will work too. smile

Last edited by centos (2011-04-30 15:58:06)

#6 2011-04-30 22:09:33

centos

gnome-session-properties is an easy solution. MPD added there - works. scribbler added into the daemon array in rc.conf and into the g-s-p - works. Thanks again.

Board footer