You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-01 14:12:23

matse

[REQUEST] Vertigo (game)

Hi,
here http://www.vertigo-game.com/ is a little game which I think should be in the AUR smile
Videos looks great, remembers me of an old DOS-game which name I have forgotten.
Greetings
matse

#2 2011-05-06 13:52:00

JHeaton

Re: [REQUEST] Vertigo (game)

This actually looks quite fun, so I'm tempted to give it a go. Have you attempted building a PKGBUILD for it and if so, do you have any experiences to share? Would be helpful if so.

#3 2011-05-06 22:48:13

matse

Hi,
no I haven't tried to build a PKGBUILD yet and I have no experience in doing that. Last  couple of days I had to do a other things, but I guess I will find some time during the weekend and read some howtos about that topic and give it a try. I will post my results here.
bye
matse

#4 2011-05-07 19:06:14

matse

Hi,
so I tried to compile vertigo from source but had to give up really fast because accoding to the manual
https://github.com/amireh/Vertigo/blob/master/INSTALL
it depends on things like ogre3d which is not yet in the AUR, see
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=7979
and I guess getting all the dependencies is a little bit too hard for a newbie like me wink
But I managed to get "Archive with precompiled dynamic libraries" (from the homepage) running pretty easily, Since I have a x64 architecture I just needed "lib32-libxaw" from the AUR and I could start "sh ./bin/play_vertigo.sh" in the extracted archive and the game runs fine and is pretty cool smile
bye
matse

Last edited by matse (2011-05-07 20:14:37)

#5 2011-05-14 20:26:32

sportscliche

I tried building from source but got hung-up at ParticleUniverse, which is a proprietary extension for Ogre and only available for Windows:

http://www.fxpression.com/

In the build instructions, the author of Vertigo indicates a dynamic library for ParticleUniverse is available in the github package, but I couldn't find it.  I wrote him directly and got this response:

"Unfortunately the game cannot be built from source as it is due to some licensing conflicts especially in the ParticleUniverse plugin. There are 2 workarounds for getting the game running on Arch linux: the first would be for me to provide you with a static build of the game, then you don’t need to compile at all. The other is to provide you with the headers of the plugin, then you can build against it using the .so provided in the libs/ directory.

"I am not sure if I can provide you with the headers, I’m contacting the author right now about this and will post about it in this blog once I have more info. Regarding the static build, I will hopefully post it tonight."

Unless option 2 works out, Vertigo is not going to be in the AUR anytime soon.

#6 2011-06-01 18:50:59

amireh
Website

Hi guys,

I've received a few notes about Vertigo not running on Arch systems because of some libXaw linking errors, so I went ahead and installed the distro on my machine to test things out (and Arch is my primary distro now!) but I couldn't reproduce those problems. However, that may be because I can only test on the x86 distro as I don't have a 64bit machine.

Now regarding building the game and wrapping it in a PKGBUILD, I'll be happy to do that myself, but I still didn't get a reply from the ParticleUniverse library author regarding whether I can bundle the headers in my package or not. In the worst extreme case, I will be porting the game to use a different effects library, one that is open-source, then there will be no problems building the game at all.

In the meantime, I'm planning some new feature additions and I'd like to improve the game in my free time, so please if you have any feedback or things you'd like to see in the game, visit its tracker page and submit a ticket (requires login)! You can also post your suggestions in this thread if you prefer, I'll be watching it :-)

Cheers people, and thanks for the bloody awesome distro.
-Amireh

Board footer