You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-01 17:21:43

CanadianPirate

nm-applet not saving passwords

I have OpenBox (without gnome), and nm-applet. When I try to connect to an encrypted wireless network it just keeps asking for a password, over and over. This is the message that comes up in the terminal with me trying to connect:

** Message: No keyring secrets found for <net name>/802-11-wireless-security; asking user. 

It was working yesterday, but then I installed then uninstalled KDE4.6 and it did not work.
As a side note, does anyone know of a reason why nm-applet would not use the regular GTK theme? It looks really annoying right now.

#2 2011-05-01 17:35:58

jlindgren

Re: nm-applet not saving passwords

nm-applet uses GTK 3 rather than GTK 2, that's why it looks different.  But I guess that's the less important problem here ...

#3 2011-05-01 17:36:49

CanadianPirate

That still helps. Thanks.

#4 2011-05-03 16:55:07

canuckkat

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I had to downgrade nm-applet and network manager or something, since I don't want to install gtk3 or gnome3 (which is apparently what the gnome updates are).

I guess I could switch to wicd, but I had tons of problems with it last time. *facepalm*

I also get in addition to the first message:

Gkr-Message: secret service operation failed: Method "CreateCollection" with signature "a{sv}s" on interface "org.freedesktop.Secret.Service" doesn't exist

And yes, I run /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=secrets at startup tongue

Last edited by canuckkat (2011-05-03 16:57:58)

#5 2011-05-04 03:27:01

johnislarry
Website

I am having a similar problem to the OP's. Sometimes when I try to select a wireless network to connect to, nm-applet does nothing. It's really annoying. Any help would be much appreciated.

#6 2011-05-06 16:44:09

johnislarry
Website

Just to update, Network manager had an update one or two days ago and the problem is still happening.

#7 2011-06-30 01:38:08

johnislarry
Website

So I managed to find a solution to my problem. I don't know if it will help anybody else, but maybe it will. I changed two things. The first was creating a file

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pkla

and writing the following lines to it:

[nm-applet]
Identity=unix-group:network
Action=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

That can also be found here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … ermissions and it allows users in the group "network" to use nm-applet functionalities. The second thing I changed was commenting out a "no-auto-default" line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.

After these changes I am able to use nm-applet as a regular user for connecting to both secured and unsecured networks.

#8 2011-07-12 10:44:42

mbroe

johnislarry wrote:

So I managed to find a solution to my problem. I don't know if it will help anybody else, but maybe it will. I changed two things. The first was creating a file

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pkla

and writing the following lines to it:

[nm-applet]
Identity=unix-group:network
Action=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

That can also be found here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … ermissions and it allows users in the group "network" to use nm-applet functionalities. The second thing I changed was commenting out a "no-auto-default" line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.

After these changes I am able to use nm-applet as a regular user for connecting to both secured and unsecured networks.

Thank you very much for this.  I was experiencing these same issues, and this seems to have fixed the problem.

Board footer