You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-02 08:45:13

admiralspark

[CLOSED] NetworkManager/dbus broken in LXDE

Hey everyone,
I've finally hit a problem where I'm stumped. My netbook running Arch is having serious issues starting with a recent update, to networkmanager (and nm-applet). For some reason, ever since the update when I start X after logging in, it opens two instances of nm-applet and two instances of dbus-daemon (one owned by my user, one owned by user 'dbus'). Also, the dbus-daemon that belongs to user:dbus is using 10% of system resources, and contributing to a 56% cpu usage at idle (and 65% usage on the arch stock kernel!). On an atom, that's a pain in the rear....
System:
Hardware can be seen in sig, it's the HP Mini
LXDE, Openbox, networkmanager 0.8.998-3 and network-manager-applet 0.8.998-2

Checking my pacman log, it looks like the gnome utilities were updated for May first, along with the transition from NetMan 0.8.2.x to 0.8.998.x. They've had an update since then but it did nothing. A forum search also returned nothing, so I'm thinking maybe I'm the only one experiencing it? My rc.conf and pacman.conf haven't been modified either.

What other info would be useful to have?

UPDATE: nm-applet is not the issue, I've been able to fix the "doubles" by starting it with a .desktop file instead of in LXDE/autostart. However, the problem with cpu usage persists, with dbus-daemon still causing the most usage. I'm going to abandon this post and look more into dbus.

Closed for now
New Update: Playing on a tip from a gnome bug report, it looks like dbus-daemon can have high cpu usage when it's being spammed.....and oh, is it being spammed.
Here's a clip of the message that's spamming itself:

method call sender=:1.153 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=1 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=Hello
method call sender=:1.153 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=2 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=AddMatch
   string "type='signal',sender='org.freedesktop.DBus',interface='org.freedesktop.DBus',member='NameOwnerChanged',path='/org/freedesktop/DBus',arg0='org.gnome.SessionManager'"
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination) serial=298 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=NameOwnerChanged
   string ":1.153"
   string ":1.153"
   string ""
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination) serial=299 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=NameOwnerChanged
   string ":1.154"
   string ""
method call sender=:1.154 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=1 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=Hello
method call sender=:1.154 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=2 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=AddMatch
   string "type='signal',sender='org.freedesktop.DBus',interface='org.freedesktop.DBus',member='NameOwnerChanged',path='/org/freedesktop/DBus',arg0='org.gnome.SessionManager'"
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination) serial=300 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=NameOwnerChanged
   string ""

Sorry for the post getting longer and longer...

Last edited by admiralspark (2011-05-04 00:20:17)

Team Ignition Kernel Developer
linux-ideapad developer/maintainer
Flame Kernel developer for Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3
Want a cheap, reliable VPS with AWESOME customer service?

#2 2011-05-03 02:06:09

admiralspark

Re: [CLOSED] NetworkManager/dbus broken in LXDE

Update: dbus-daemon is flooding, and powerTOP is reporting the load balancer tick (kernel scheduler) is 40-50% of the problem, 1081 wakeups, so I'm just going to rebuild the system with a new WM anyway smile

Team Ignition Kernel Developer
linux-ideapad developer/maintainer
Flame Kernel developer for Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3
Want a cheap, reliable VPS with AWESOME customer service?

Board footer