You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-02 20:38:09

jeff story
Website

Hang Onto Gnome2...via No Updates...Repercussions

Goal:     I want to hang onto Gnome 2 on Arch.

Method:     By selectively updating only certain core repo packages ie: kernel26

I've updated one of my Arch installs to Gnome3, and I'm not ready for it full time. Rather that switch DE's or distros, I want to exhaust all options first.

I have read the forums, and see the option of currently, blocking up to 90 packages. Am I correct to see this as a laborious, and daily evolving situation?

So what if I approached this from the opposite end. Assuming I would be content to only update for security reasons, would I still be plagued with breakage? 

Example: if Gnome no longer supports gnome2 in any way, could a kernel update possibly break my DE?
What other issues should I be aware of?

Check out my website for info on the Arch Linux Installer

#2 2011-05-02 22:57:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Hang Onto Gnome2...via No Updates...Repercussions

You would basically be prevented from updating your entire userspace. In the end you'd end up with something that looks very much like Debian. Better to go with Debian I think.

Selective updating is not supported at all. If you know what you're doing, then fine, but if you did you wouldn't be asking this question at all. The safest thing (security aside) is just not to update.

Or, you know, to just take the plunge on Gnome3 or try XFCE or one of the tilers or KDE4. So many options.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer