You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-20 15:37:18

firedance

hotplug,kernel,fluxter,idesk and shutdown problems

okay, iv got some problems
the firstone is hotplug that sometimes hangs when booting up, no idea why.

Second one, the kernel, where can i get the kernel source?

Third, fluxter, im using fluxbox and with that using fluxter the only problems is that fluxter gets a tag and isnt allways on top.

Fourth, idesk, this is my xinitrc file

idesk &
fluxter &
exec fluxbox

but the icons gets gray and dotty when i start, i need to kill idesk and start it from eterm.

and the lastone, shutdown, when i do shutdown now the computer goes into singel user mode (the thing with control+D to continue)  but crashes so i can neither enter a password or press ctrl+D

thanks.

#2 2005-04-20 17:26:41

lucke

Re: hotplug,kernel,fluxter,idesk and shutdown problems

If hotplug causes problems, just disable it and load modules manually (use hwd to find the modules for your hardware and/or run 'lsmod' with hotplug enabled on boot, write down the proper modules and add 'em to rc.conf) :-)

Sources come together with kernel package. They're in /usr/src/linux (if symlink is created properly).

I'm not using fluxbox, thus I don't know about its stuff ;-)

Lastly, your OS should by default go to runlevel 0/6 when shutting down/rebooting, not 1 (single user mode). Reinstalling your initscripts package could help.

#3 2005-04-20 18:28:13

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

lucke wrote:

Sources come together with kernel package. They're in /usr/src/linux (if symlink is created properly).

Actually, that is incorrect.  Only the include files are  installed with the kernel package.  To get the sources, you need to download them from kernel.org

#4 2005-04-20 18:39:00

lucke

Ah, you could be right. It's enough to compile modules anyway (isn't it?), it's easier/more convenient to use ABS for kernel compilation (imho, at least).

#5 2005-04-20 20:13:46

firedance

kernel.org? do they have the arch kernel? whats special whith the arch kernel?

shall I add all modules lsmod shows or just the used ones?

#6 2005-04-20 20:25:10

lucke

Arch kernel is a genuine kernel (which is available at kernel.org) with -as patchset and own config. Tell us what you need kernel sources for/what you want to do with your kernel and we'll guide you how to accomplish that.

As for modules, to rc.conf add only the ones you think would be usable for you, like sound modules, not everything outputed by lsmod. Some of them will be loaded automatically as dependencies. Moreover, hotplug could have loaded some additional ones, which usually aren't used.

For reference, that's my rc.conf's MODULES section:

MODULES=(snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss rtc via_rhine usbcore uhci-hcd usbhid nvidia)

#7 2005-04-20 20:47:30

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

To know exactly what sources/patches Arch use, run abs (if you haven't done so yet).  Then go in /var/abs/kernels/kernel26 and read the PKGBUILD file.  The links to the sources/patches are in it.

#8 2005-04-20 23:04:23

Cam
Website

In regards to the idesk issue, in ~/.fluxbox/apps I fixed that by adding

[startup] {sleep 4 && idesk}

and remove the reference in .xinitrc

#9 2005-04-21 03:35:46

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

cam - thanks for that smile

firedance, when idesk starts it grabs the current background to do the fake transparency - if you set idesk in xinitrc fluxbox doesn't have time to set the background first so your icons show the default X background, which is the dotty grid

#10 2005-04-21 15:03:24

firedance

lucke wrote:

Arch kernel is a genuine kernel (which is available at kernel.org) with -as patchset and own config. Tell us what you need kernel sources for/what you want to do with your kernel and we'll guide you how to accomplish that.

As for modules, to rc.conf add only the ones you think would be usable for you, like sound modules, not everything outputed by lsmod. Some of them will be loaded automatically as dependencies. Moreover, hotplug could have loaded some additional ones, which usually aren't used.

For reference, that's my rc.conf's MODULES section:

MODULES=(snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss rtc via_rhine usbcore uhci-hcd usbhid nvidia)

I need to remove agp...
Okay, il load what I see as nessesary (um, usb,sound,network) and see what the computer asks for.
where can I get the '-as patchet' (um..?) and the config?

#11 2005-04-21 15:32:07

lucke

Check the Snowman's post above :-)

#12 2005-04-21 16:11:33

iphitus
Forum Fellow

lucke wrote:

-as patchset is no longer used, it exists only for 2.6.10. The idea of -as was to create a patchset to backport important security and bugfixes to a base kernel, 2.6.10 was selected as that base kernel.

Arch's kernel is pretty standard, with the 2.6.11 i have here only including some acpi updates, and a patch to make nvidia compile properly.

#13 2005-05-22 02:38:49

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Cam wrote:

In regards to the idesk issue, in ~/.fluxbox/apps I fixed that by adding

[startup] {sleep 4 && idesk}

and remove the reference in .xinitrc

that didn't work for me - it depends on the speed of your system you see.

I added fbsetbg -l then the idesk command to my fluxbox startup file - i have no sleeps at all now

Board footer