You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-04 02:37:29

unformatt

Issues starting dropbox

Hi,
I'm having problems starting dropbox with dropboxd-userspace at startup.
I configured everything like the wiki says, but when the system starts, I can't see dropbox tray icon.
The strange thing is that the daemon is running and, if I restart it once the system has loaded, the tray icon is back and I have everything working.
Why is that happening? Is there any way to avoid manually restarting the daemon every time I start the system?
I have a fresh install with gnome 3, just in case you need to know. Before (with gnome 3) I was just using nautilus-dropbox, but now it is not enough to start the daemon.
Thanks in advance!
Matias.

#2 2011-05-04 02:50:33

kyla
Website

Re: Issues starting dropbox

I have no idea why it would make a difference, but you could try loading dropbox as just a normal startup application (add it using gnome-session-properties) rather than as a daemon.

#3 2011-05-04 03:00:10

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

unformatt wrote:

if I restart it once the system has loaded, the tray icon is back and I have everything working.

You could also have it start a couple of seconds after everything has loaded. I sleep mine for ~15s to give it time for the network connection to be established...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2011-05-04 11:37:54

unformatt

kyla wrote:

I have no idea why it would make a difference, but you could try loading dropbox as just a normal startup application (add it using gnome-session-properties) rather than as a daemon.

Already tried that, but it doesn't work.

jasonwryan wrote:
unformatt wrote:

if I restart it once the system has loaded, the tray icon is back and I have everything working.

You could also have it start a couple of seconds after everything has loaded. I sleep mine for ~15s to give it time for the network connection to be established...

How can you delay the service start?

#5 2011-05-04 22:04:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

sleep 30 && ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd
man sleep

for details (spoiler: there aren't many smile )

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2011-05-05 14:46:11

unformatt

Thanks for your help but unfortunately I have to do the restart, even if I do that.
I'll keep trying to solve it and then I'll post again!

#7 2011-05-05 18:03:26

greyscale

Had the same issue as you.

I removed ~/.dropbox and ran dropbox, followed the wizard to connect to my account again (I choose to load it myself so don't know if that matters).
I let dropbox run for a couple of minutes and re-started it again and this time it keep my  settings.

A tiling window manager simply manages your windows, not just letting you have em
:: Configs etc @GitHub

#8 2011-05-16 01:10:15

rsking84

I've had a similar problem on my x64 system running Gnome 3.0.

I've set things up according to the "manual method" described in the Wiki.  dropboxd appears to start at login, but there is no icon.  Manually restarting does the trick.   However, I'm unclear on how the start/stop/restart process is supposed to work.  I'm prompted for an administrator password when I try to start the daemon.  I thought that the point of the setup was to allow my user to start/stop the daemon.

Also, whenever I start or stop the daemon, I get:

/bin/rm: cannot remove `/run/daemons/dropboxd': Permission denied

Am I missing something?   Could the fact that I'm prompted for a password be related to the problem?

Last edited by rsking84 (2011-05-16 01:31:00)

Board footer