You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-04 17:28:38

tsr-nc

[SOLVED]MPD and PulseAudio: cannot init supplementary groups of user

I used to run mpd as a seperate user "mpd" but after installing pulseaudio as a requirment for gnome 3, I had to make it run as my user or run pulseaudio system wide (What is wrong with system mode) after changing all mpd files permisions and updating /etc/mpd.conf i still get this error

[jacob@BlackWater ~]$ mpd
listen: bind to '0.0.0.0:6600' failed: Address already in use (continuing anyway, because binding to '[::]:6600' succeeded)
daemon: cannot init supplementary groups of user "jacob": Operation not permitted
"

mpd continues to run though however when attempting to play anything i get this error

problems opening audio device

I found a fourm with the same problem marked solved but could not find what they did
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 09#p421209

Last edited by tsr-nc (2011-05-05 00:19:30)

#2 2011-05-04 18:55:14

Rasi
Website

Re: [SOLVED]MPD and PulseAudio: cannot init supplementary groups of user

[jacob@BlackWater ~]$ mpd
listen: bind to '0.0.0.0:6600' failed: Address already in use (continuing anyway, because binding to '[::]:6600' succeeded)

this is not actually an error. It just says it bound to your ipv6 interface before it could be bound to ipv4 interface. Define your binding statically in mpd.conf with

bind_to_address "127.0.0.1"

daemon: cannot init supplementary groups of user "jacob": Operation not permitted

you are running mpd as user, altho you should be running it as root smile
if you want to run it as user, make sure to remove the user line from mpd.conf

problems opening audio device

I can only guess here. You are saying you have pulseaudio. Did you configure the pulseaudio output in mpd.conf? smile
if you do so, make sure to comment out the alsa output. If you want to use the alsa output with your pulseaudio server, make sure you have pulseaudio-alsa installed

Last edited by Rasi (2011-05-04 18:59:49)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2011-05-05 00:21:53

tsr-nc

Re: [SOLVED]MPD and PulseAudio: cannot init supplementary groups of user

thanks i didnt realise alsa and pulse audio needed to be enabled

Board footer