You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-05 05:24:10

jakerules

[SOLVED] Fbsplash conflicting with Gnome 3

Hey guys,
Recently I've been trying to make my arch look a little more beautiful. I looked into plymouth, but had some weird graphical errors. Then after my slim loads, the screen would brighten constantly while freezing. So I looked into splashly, but couldn't find any dependencies that weren't out of date or actually available in the aur. So eventually I found fbsplash and to my surprised it actually works pretty well.

Bios > Grub > Tiny starting message of arch > fbsplash > slim > gnome 3.
However, the only problem is that my gnome 3 is stuck in fallback mode while using fbsplash. : ( And sometimes my daemons refuse to load correctly. Although I don't mind just netcfging my network instead of wicd, fixing the sound is annoying. I have no idea why it will only load my daemons 'sometimes' so I figured I'd come ask here after googling around for a bit.

I'm using the xf86-video-ati as my graphics driver, and here is my grub getup.

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Jake (note: yes, i'm really this lame.)
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/3b547b54-87bf-4af1-9da3-614e173b11ec r$11ec ro logo.nologo quiet nomodeset vga=0x0346 console=tty1 splash=silent,fade$t, fadein,fadeout,theme:arch-banner-noicons
initrd /kernel26.img

conf.d/splash looks fine, and I set the command to prepare itself for slim.

rc.conf daemons

DAEMONS=(@crond @netfs @dbus @hal wicd slim)

And last but certainly not least, my mkinitcpio hooks.

HOOKS="base udev v86d fbsplash autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems"

I post a lot of arch linux questions, but I'm thankful for any helpful reply I can get with this. Thanks again guys.

Edit: Yeah, nomodeset vga=0x0346 is definitely causing fallback mode. Do I really have to pick between a normal gnome 3 desktop or a sweet bootloader? : (
Can also confirm that KMS isn't working for me.

Eventually gave up and uninstalled a bunch of drivers I tested. Went to default xf86-video-ati and then managed to get KMS to actually work. KMS starts a little slower than framebuffer, but is plymouth running just fine. Consider this solved I suppose.

Last edited by jakerules (2011-05-05 09:52:57)

#2 2011-05-09 23:32:42

viking60
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Fbsplash conflicting with Gnome 3

Yes pitty it is solved. I have Slim fbsplash and Gnome3 working just fine here smile
Your settings look OK.
You could try this:
I did not put slim in the daemons list in rc.conf  I put it in /etc/inittab

Just uncomment:

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null

and remove your slim entry in rc.conf.

I use theme arch-black

kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/60d1c983-78c1-424f-af7e-6ba178a0e620  ro logo.nologo quiet nomodeset vga=794 console=tty1 splash=silent,fadein,fadeout,theme:arch-black
initrd /kernel26.img

"Common sense is not common"

Board footer