#451 2015-01-01 21:27:35

codingman

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

1. Community
2. Wiki
3. Pacman
4. KISS
5. AUR

Help Vampires --- Linux is NOT Windows! --- The Arch Way --- Get the As to your Qs!

No tak lik dis or NO ANZER!1!1!!1!

#452 2015-01-03 16:49:06

PootisBird

1. Wiki
2. AUR
3. Rolling Release
4. Hot Chicks

#453 2015-01-06 11:38:26

alex.theoto

- Very good and fast package manager.
- Very good and updated wiki pages.
- You learn how linux and computer works.
- Rolling Release.
- Pretty stable (contrasting debian sid).

#454 2015-01-06 12:36:25

speedyx
Website

0. Rolling Release
1. Pacman
2. Wiki
3. KISS
4. AUR
5. Community

I love archlinux: the last STABLE kernel release + the last STABLE DE release + the last STABLE apps releases. The upstream developers decide what is STABLE.

#455 2015-01-21 06:07:25

SysGhost

Gentoo. Yep that's where I came from. Gentoo is extremely customisable thanks to its USE-variable.
But it takes a lot of time and processor power to compile a fully fledged desktop environment. Painfully a lot.
Arch being closest to LFS, without the need to compile everything. That's what pulled me in.
And then we have AUR. What does not exist there, is not worth the time. I was completely sold.

But I miss that USE variable.

(Still running Gentoo on my servers)

#456 2015-01-21 15:54:16

ewaller
Administrator

SysGhost wrote:

Gentoo. Yep that's where I came from. ...
But I miss that USE variable.

Welcome fellow convert from Gentoo.  I still love Gentoo, but use Arch for the reasons you mentioned.  I do still miss the use flags.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#457 2015-01-24 02:07:47

rklinux

(A)lways (R)acing (C)lear a(H)ead
- no actually
1. always find solutions to problems - all you cool folks!
2. tired of annual upgrades
3. dont need to upgrade for latest software
4. Damn - only have what I need

AND A BIG REASON  - Arch was the only one that had something to say about getting things working on a cutting edge laptop that I wanted - and so purchased it.

Last edited by rklinux (2015-01-24 02:16:32)

just learning, or trying to:-)

#458 2015-01-25 16:40:10

SuperKomputerKid
Website

I chose arch because of:

1. Customizable without the tedious process of Gentoo or LFS.
2. The community's support is unmatched by any other Distribution.
3. The wiki is also unmatched by any other Distribution. (You can use info there on distros like Ubuntu or Fedora, provided you change commands as needed when dealing with commands.)
4. Rolling release is awesome. One command and I'm up to date.

If somebody tells me that I'm a geek, I just say: "And you're a windows (or OSX) using pleb with no room to talk."

#459 2015-02-05 01:38:05

christoff522

0. Rolling Release
1. Learning experience
2. Wiki
3. Customization
4. AUR
5. Upstream packages
6. Always learning
7. xf86-video-intel-devel
8. Arch Ultimate Install
9. It, just, works.
10. Grown to love it over the years.

#460 2015-02-07 01:59:42

marcelo.origoni

Rolling Release and Vainilla Software was the reason why I came here.
The Wiki, the UX and the community the reasons why I stayed.

#461 2015-02-07 06:29:02

mpan
Website

Because I'm a masochist </joke>

i². Great Wiki
φ. Installs with no garbage and lets you choose what and how you want to use (within reasonable limits)
e. Rolling release
π. My friend was using it at the time, so I had live support via IM

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#462 2015-02-07 15:37:11

Mastema

Pretty much entirely to learn more about Linux/computers in general. I needed a distro on my laptop for school, and I was doing just fine with Mint. Arch seemed really interesting though, so I tried to set-up a dual-boot with it and Mint so I could play around with it. I ended up breaking my computer by messing up the partitioning and after about 20 hours I managed to get everything working again, then I spent the rest of the week configuring Arch. Trial by fire, but I've already learned an incredible amount in a very short time.

#463 2015-02-08 19:31:59

RacerBG

1. Build it yourself
2. Wiki
3. Customization
4. Community
5. AUR

#464 2015-02-24 23:40:49

rantanran

Because I really have to learn for my exams but as always i am doing other important stuff.
So after cleaning my room i had the option to sit down and finally learn... or setup a arch system, which is a way more fun for my than learning about FMEA, QfD, HoQ or whatever we have to know for the exam ;-)

that's not a joke!

#465 2015-02-25 02:55:50

helix

1. Pacman - simply the best and fastest package manager out there
2. Rolling release - no more formatting and reinstalling
3. Wiki - best wiki among linux distros, reference point for many linux users
4. AUR - community's contribution at its best and the limit is the sky
5. Customization - a distro that totally fits my needs, no more no less than exactly how I want it to look and work for me
6. Community - from users to developers and admins/mods feels like you are part of a big family
7. Stability and security - best among rolling release distros
8. KISS/vanilla distro, packages & package building system
9. Cool name and logo
10. For all the above reasons, Arch feels so familiar to me, as it was written for me

#466 2015-02-25 19:59:15

smnpl

1. Self education; Basically learning "computer" again from scratch. This time right.
2. Wiki
3. 1337 status wink

The road to wisdom? - Well, it's plain and simple to express: Err and err and err again but less and less and less. - Piet Hein -

#467 2015-02-26 13:47:20

Awebb

smnpl wrote:

3. 1337 status wink

Be careful.

> in bar with friend
> overhear conversation about the state of Linux drivers
> we sit next to them, I say "Linux, huh?"
> "what do you use, Ubuntu or what?" they ask
> rip open button down shirt, reveal Arch tee shirt
> they scream and turn into hot nymphs
> orgy commences. bar is torn apart by furious succubi
> global gravidity, including men, furniture and cell phones > 4.2"
> become puppet master of bio organic Arch botnet
> an unison of a thousand voices call me "daddy"
> we are the borg
> resistance is futile

#468 2015-02-26 14:09:32

smnpl

Omg, same shit just happened to me!
*mademyday*

The road to wisdom? - Well, it's plain and simple to express: Err and err and err again but less and less and less. - Piet Hein -

#469 2015-02-26 16:25:25

rantanran

Awebb wrote:
smnpl wrote:

3. 1337 status wink

Be careful.

> in bar with friend
> we are the borg
> resistance is futile

What the f*** did i just read  xD

#470 2015-02-27 09:25:48

immerblind

1. self education/learning
2. wiki!!!
3. rolling release

#471 2015-03-01 05:03:50

Sanchayan
Website

The ability to customise and have complete control over the system. Not that you can't do that at all with other distributions but with Arch it seems just easier. Running custom kernels, rolling release and having only the software that I want on my system are all plus points. The awesome wiki is super awesome. I even use the wiki a lot of times for instructions while working on user space in embedded systems.

Being able to refer to wiki for instructions on how to get/customise/install the software packages is such a relief.

My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.

#472 2015-03-01 09:43:28

bromanbro

Just installed Arch yestrday smile. However, I cheated....(used the evolution installer). But still, it was a far more involved installation process then other distros. Was interesting what kind of options were availible that are usually automatically chosen by the installer.

Really liking Arch...was interested in Arch because of the AUR, and it's awesome  how everything seems to be on there, and unlike other distros I didn't even need to add any repos for something/get latest version of Wine.

Also I like having the latest version of everything by default, and the rolling release style of Arch.

Only problem I have is that Steam doesn't like my en_CA locale lol. Wants it to be en_US tongue

ps: I still don't know what package it is, but my play/pause keyboard button works correctly in Arch!!!
Also a shoutout to pacman! Surprised it had bineries for Skype.

Be careful.

> in bar with friend
> we are the borg
> resistance is futile

That was beautiful.

Last edited by bromanbro (2015-03-01 09:46:08)

#473 2015-03-03 19:10:17

Buddlespit

I noticed a lot of posts using bullet points. I'm not one of those kind of posters. I prefer long-drawn out paragraphs, meandering through thoughts and highlights.

To begin, I'm a long-time 'Linux' user. I've usually had some kind of Linux distro dual-booting with Windows since 2002. It was a plaything for me, but wasn't something I was serious about. Everything I needed from a computer, I got from trusty ol' Windows. I would sometimes piddle around with Suse or Mandrake for a few days, then leave it alone for a month. Drivers sucked. No games worth mentioning. Desktop looked ugly as sin.

Then in 2010, I found I could run KDE quite nicely. I liked KDE. It looked better than Gnome. I didn't like the way openSuse handled packages, so I tried Debian for a while. Then I found out that there was a Debian based distro that was dedicated to KDE. And, to make things even better, this distro used a Windows installer so I could install it and run it as a low-level VM! And in 2011, Kubuntu became my distro of choice. The kewl thing about the Wubi installer was that if I broke something, I could just wipe the image out and start over without breaking my Windows install or screwing around with bootloaders. I started spending more and more time in Linux. I started learning about kernels and drivers and config files. I started learning about wine. I found I could do more and more in Linux without making my system uber-boggy.

And in late 2012 or early 2013, I wiped out Windows. I was single booting Linux.

For about a year, I was spending a lot of time reading the Kubuntu forums. I was getting more and more dissatisfied with the way the 'power-users' were helping the new users. The most common answer to a lot of the problems was to re-install the OS. I spent a lot of time re-installing my OS because I was tinkering around and not knowing what I was messing with. I broke the system more often than not. And I wasn't really learning anything new.

In 2/2014, I took a deep breath and tackled Arch Linux. I read and re-read the beginners page. I scoured the forums. I took notes of install issues and fixes. I then burned a copy of the iso to a usb key and I haven't looked back.

Today, if my system doesn't boot, I know where to look. If my KDE acts up, I know where to look. If I don't have a screen, I know where to look. The Wiki is one of the most in-depth sources for information I've ever seen for any Linux system to date. I have learned more in six months of using Arch Linux than I had in a decade of using anything else. I don't have to re-install the OS if I (or a release upgrade) break(s) something. I may not like the way some 'high-post-count' users treat newcomers in the forums, but I can usually learn something new. I love the rolling-release, of having the latest and greatest running on my system, of being a hair away from the bleeding-edge. I love how I can have just a thousand packages on my system instead of the 5-8 thousand packages I had to install to get my system 'just right'. The developers and packagers seem to be able to release apps that don't make my system unstable when there's an update. I was so impressed with the stability that I converted my home server from Ubuntu Server to Arch.

So, in conclusion, I guess there's a lot in Arch that I like. I hope others are like me and decide it's time to learn something and try it The Arch Way.

#474 2015-03-03 19:47:13

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

I noticed a lot of posts using bullet points. I'm not one of those kind of posters. I prefer long-drawn out paragraphs, meandering through thoughts and highlights.

And thanks for that. big_smile

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#475 2015-03-07 14:21:42

danielbertolozi

To have a good control of everything, and because my computer's slow (2x 1.8Ghz and 2Gb RAM; Intel HD2000), so Openbox + Tint2 is very fast for me

Board footer