You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-06 10:26:17

konart

[SOLVED] Any way to turn off Gnome 3 notifications stack?

Hi,

I'm using Gnome 3 in fallback mode+AWN instead of gnome-panels.
The thing is - gnome 3 uses notification-daemon and puts all of the notifications in a stack(well, sort of), so the user can view all of them later. Due to this some, if not all of the new notifications(from Deadbeef as an example) won't show up in the usual place(top tight corner of the screen in fallback node), but being put directly to this stack.

Not that I hate this "feature", but sometimes this is really annoying.

Is there a way to disable this feature, or to replace notification-daemon with Ubuntu's notify-osd without breaking Gnome?

IDoGis.jpg

Last edited by konart (2011-05-26 14:44:50)

#2 2011-05-06 10:35:49

Foucault

Re: [SOLVED] Any way to turn off Gnome 3 notifications stack?

You may want to try to install notify-osd from AUR.

#3 2011-05-06 10:55:51

konart

Foucault wrote:

You may want to try to install notify-osd from AUR.

That's the problem - I used it before Gnome 3 was out, but it conflicts with notification-daemon, and Gnome 3 won't start without it, giving you "Failed to load session "gnome-fallback"" error.

#4 2011-05-10 05:40:43

Nopcic

Take a look in /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome-fallback.session.  Near the end of the file, you should see "RequiredProviders=windowmanager;notifications;".  Just delete "notifications;" from that line.  I also commented out the "DefaultProvider-notifications=notification-daemon" line below that for good measure.

FWIW, I was able to see the OSD notifications with some apps (e.g. Rhythmbox), while others don't appear to work yet (Evolution 3.0.1, which did work with notification-daemon).  I assume this is due to a new notification protocol?

#5 2011-05-11 13:48:34

konart

Shame on me, I totally forgot about /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/ even though I used to edit it to remove gnome panels big_smile

Did the same thing you advised, except for the last line - I've just changed "notification-daemon" to "notify-osd". Don't know if this matters, considering I deleted notifications from Required, but everything starts and works fine.

Thanks for your help! smile

#6 2011-06-12 13:50:34

berz_

I am trying to replace the gnome shell notifications with notify-osd in gnome shell instead of fallback mode. Installed the leolik version of notify-osd from AUR, which deleted notification-daemon but this didn't change a thing.  I looked at /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session but couldn't disable the notifications there.

Is it possible to disable the notifications in the normal shell?

Last edited by berz_ (2011-06-12 13:51:11)

#7 2011-06-12 15:35:34

konart

I moved to KDE some time ago, so I can't really help you now, but most likely you need to do the same thing:

- edit  /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session
- install notify-osd(you didn't HAVE to remove notification-daemon btw, I had problems with starting gnome with it removed)

you can also try replacing notification-daemon with notify-osd - just rename notification-daemon to, say, notification-daemon-old, and move notify-osd to it's place (mv notify-osd notification-daemon).

#8 2011-06-12 18:52:45

berz_

>edit  /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session
gnome.session doens't have a RequiredProviders or DefaultProvider-notifications line like gnome-fallback.session, there are only entries for RequiredComponents, IsRunnableHelper and FallbackSession at the bottom of the file, none of which mention notifications.

>install notify-osd(you didn't HAVE to remove notification-daemon btw, I had problems with starting gnome with it removed)
I did install notify-osd-customizable from AUR and while installing it pacman said this would remove notification-daemon, which it did.
Oddly enough I still get the normal notifications after rebooting, even with notification-daemon uninstalled.

I think that I'll make my own topic if I haven't found a solution by tomorrow, as the original question in this topic is solved.

#9 2012-05-19 12:01:51

mohegan

Thanks. It works. I use gnome fallback and notify-osd is the solution. Great job !

Board footer