MrMars

[GNOME 3] MrMars gtk3 themes

Hi, I am MrMars.
I made two themes in gtk3 to use with gnome3,
and i have plans for other themes.

ATOLM-GTK3
61799592167162571729_thumb.jpg

link: http://thedeviantmars.deviantart.com/ar … -206663190

ADWANCE-GTK3  (adwaita + ambiance = adwance)
65284792266962794563_thumb.jpg

link: http://thedeviantmars.deviantart.com/ar … -207704533

ADWAITA-MRMARS-GTK3 w.i.p.
88928667140632059400_thumb.jpg

http://thedeviantmars.deviantart.com/#/d3f0q3d

ELEGANT-ARCH-GTK3 w.i.p.
45287688433186787500_thumb.jpg

http://TheDeviantMars.deviantart.com/ar … -209450283

Last edited by MrMars (2011-05-19 15:10:15)

#2 2011-05-06 20:28:56

stqn
Website

Re: [GNOME 3] MrMars gtk3 themes

That's great; Atolm is a very nice theme that I sometimes use (only sometimes because the background is too bright.)

Now if someone could port Dark Arte and Drakfire Black Mod to Gtk3 I could update my system without too much fear of becoming blind tongue.

#3 2011-05-06 21:42:35

MrMars

I'm glad you like it smile

Drakfire himself is working on the port of his black theme. (I know him)

Dark Arte is the first time i see it.

#4 2011-05-07 18:32:45

MrMars

#5 2011-05-07 19:16:00

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Moved to Artwork and Screenshots. smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#6 2011-05-07 20:45:57

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

MrMars wrote:

Working on a new theme

I like it! Looking forward to replace the default theme with a grey panel bar.

Markku

#7 2011-05-07 20:53:54

MrMars

rasat wrote:
MrMars wrote:

Working on a new theme

I like it! Looking forward to replace the default theme with a grey panel bar.

Thank you smile
that panel and its theme is already available, it is gnome-shell elementary theme by half-left (deviantart)

@litemotiv: thanks, I am kinda new and made a mistake

#8 2011-05-07 23:38:05

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

MrMars wrote:

that panel and its theme is already available, it is gnome-shell elementary theme by half-left (deviantart)

Thanks. I installed the Adwaita theme, doesn't change the panel. Also Atolm didn't change. How to do?

Markku

#9 2011-05-08 00:12:31

MrMars

rasat wrote:
MrMars wrote:

Thanks. I installed the Adwaita theme, doesn't change the panel. Also Atolm didn't change. How to do?

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/themesel … on-to.html

#10 2011-05-09 20:27:43

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

The "Themeselector Gnome Shell extension" and the included themes, works fine with the new "gnome-shell-extensions-common" and "gnome-shell-extension-user-theme" in extra.
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/themesel … on-to.html

Markku

#11 2011-05-13 05:32:32

triplesquarednine

stqn wrote:

That's great; Atolm is a very nice theme that I sometimes use (only sometimes because the background is too bright.)

Now if someone could port Dark Arte and Drakfire Black Mod to Gtk3 I could update my system without too much fear of becoming blind tongue.

I'm cooking up a mod of Atolm-gtk3 that might be more to your liking;

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=118868

Take a look, i still have a few things to do to fix it up, and also deal with a minor issue or two. But it's nice and dark without the bright backgrounds that cause my eyes to bleed, when trying to look at icons/pictures in nautilus, lol...

so far, i am pretty happy with ti though  ( i guess i should thank MrMars for providing Atolm! )

yay for themes.!

#12 2011-05-13 13:16:00

MrMars

triplesquarednine wrote:

I'm cooking up a mod of Atolm-gtk3 that might be more to your liking;

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=118868

Take a look, i still have a few things to do to fix it up, and also deal with a minor issue or two. But it's nice and dark without the bright backgrounds that cause my eyes to bleed, when trying to look at icons/pictures in nautilus, lol...

so far, i am pretty happy with ti though  ( i guess i should thank MrMars for providing Atolm! )

yay for themes.!

Your desktop is a mess, I don't like the theme so much, but hey, it's YOUR theme now, so don't mind me smile
as for the "bright" background, I just tried to stick to Atolm-gtk2, as for the colours. wink

If you are going to release your theme, please credit me and if you can, provide a link to my original Atolm-gtk3 theme. smile

You are welcome, and keep up the good work!

#13 2011-05-13 18:44:41

triplesquarednine

MrMars wrote:

Your desktop is a mess, I don't like the theme so much, but hey, it's YOUR theme now, so don't mind me smile
as for the "bright" background, I just tried to stick to Atolm-gtk2, as for the colours. wink

If you are going to release your theme, please credit me and if you can, provide a link to my original Atolm-gtk3 theme. smile

You are welcome, and keep up the good work!

I have added the link to both this thread and your deviantart page (which i already had a link to in another thread).  I wasn't going to claim credit for your work, no worries - as originally posted, i did mention it was based on Atolm-gtk3. I've actually recommended your theme to a few people. - My dad quite likes it smile

...as for my desktop being a "mess", I'm not exactly positive what you mean by that. ie: most of the contents of my desktop were temporary files in those screenshots.

here is what my desktop looks like with the default gnome 3 background - with nautilus desktop, minus the icons/launchers/scirpts i was working on, and my clock also moved to the top, accordingly (to match the default background, in mine is it inset.) ;

g3ninez.th.png

Depending on one's definition of "a mess", i would actually have to say, that in comparison - your desktop is actually quite the clutter'ed (don't mind the pun!) little mess.  You will notice, i do not require gnome-panel at all, or even gnome-shell - in my gnome 3 experience.... I have a single dock off to the side (to maximize widescreen real-estate), it also provides a gtk2 style start-menu (much faster than G3 menus) and allows me to access any setting/app not visible on the desktop.  I am not required to leave my desktop to do anything, at all. - any and all transitions used to move between apps/desktops  - happens without the disturbance or inconvenience of leaving my desktop, in any visually noticable way...including also being able to shut-off compositing, without interruption - which is impossible in Gnome-Shell. So i tend to think my desktop is much more minimal, and actually quite organized, thought out and simplified.... in fact as a tablet user, i don't even require clicking the mouse to change workspaces/applications, I need only move my stylus to whatever edge/corner triggers the desired function. i can also control every detail with a few only a few "clicks". I wouldn't call that a mess - i would say it's quite elegant, fast and smooth. it's like using an iPad or PC tablet. (but it's my desktop).

it's also important to note that I have different design goals with my modification of your theme. My theme overlaps the menubar/toolbar,  on top of the window decoration by about 3 pixels (at the top of window, where the decoration meets the gtk-window)... this is to help ensure little to no "tearing", when using compositing effects which "heavily" distort windows - like wobbly windows, shift-switcher, etc. (there aren't any comparable effects in Mutter/Gnome-shell, that i have seen yet). - So i needed to fix problems that were quite visible in the original Atolm-gtk3 theme, when using Compiz++.  had i not fixed them, the theme would have appeared very messy and somewhat broken on my desktop....

I also wanted sharp edges and borders to be more defined, as i often use window-tiling and also have a very dark-desktop. - i don't like having to focus my eyes to hard, so i also prefer contrast of colors and tones.  I work from home (@ two of my jobs) and spend a lot of late nights in front of the computer - light themes and/or themes with color schemes that lack contrast - become hard on the eyes, or cause you to need to be closer to the monitor. (which is bad for the eyes) i am even quite comfortable reading from 3/5 feet away - no joke! wink

...and i do prefer how nautilus' icon-view looks in my theme. the toolbar and background blend quite nicely (although i wish the toolbar had transparency, so that when scrolling, the icons would fade under the toolbar - that would be sweet!!! although at some point, i'm planning on ditching Nautilus anyway, when " Marlin" becomes production ready.

My  theme still needs some work, and i have a few things i intend to add, as well. but i think another few hours of tweaking it, will enhance it and fix any issues...  ( i've only put in maybe 45minutes to maybe an hour, so  far - and this is my first attempt at gtk3 .css styling)...

but i am thankful, because your theme provided a nice-base and i was able to learn a little bit more about theming becasue of it wink thanks again for your theme! smile

jordan

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2011-05-13 19:32:20)

#14 2011-05-14 12:03:19

MrMars

vOG9oNA

well, talking of cluttered desktop (actually, I liked the pun smile ), in my daily use i do not use gnome-shell but rather awesome-wm, a tiling wm.
those shots were meant to "show" the theme to the most targeted will-be users of the themes, i.e. gnome-shell/gnome3 users.

I appreciate your work and the effort and time you are spending on it, to make it better. I would never have noticed the issues with wobbling effects like compiz's (which should be left to die in peace, and replaced by mutter even in ubuntu etc.) because I do not use it (my other distro, Chakra, has kde+kwin), so well done!

As for the bright colors and lack of contrast, I am perfectly aware of the issues (expecially at night) but as I said above, I just stickied to the original gtk2 colors, it was a port rather than a creation from scratch smile

Thanks for the long answer, the time to write it, and keep up with your good work!

MrMars

#15 2011-05-14 14:25:56

triplesquarednine

MrMars wrote:

http://ompldr.org/vOG9oNA

well, talking of cluttered desktop (actually, I liked the pun smile ), in my daily use i do not use gnome-shell but rather awesome-wm, a tiling wm.
those shots were meant to "show" the theme to the most targeted will-be users of the themes, i.e. gnome-shell/gnome3 users.

I appreciate your work and the effort and time you are spending on it, to make it better. I would never have noticed the issues with wobbling effects like compiz's (which should be left to die in peace, and replaced by mutter even in ubuntu etc.) because I do not use it (my other distro, Chakra, has kde+kwin), so well done!

As for the bright colors and lack of contrast, I am perfectly aware of the issues (expecially at night) but as I said above, I just stickied to the original gtk2 colors, it was a port rather than a creation from scratch smile

Thanks for the long answer, the time to write it, and keep up with your good work!

MrMars

thanks, i've actually made some serious progress, if you go to the link to my theme - i've provided there is a new screenshot. The theme has changed a lot. i ditched the colored gradient toolbar, did some interesting lighting-type animation for the scrollbars (as in 3 levels of brightness, when moving over / clicking on it.).  I also got nautilus to look a little sharper, and fixed a bunch of stuff. All the text is matched up, and i softened all of the whites, played with all the grey tones, and ditch the black for an almost chocolate grey. It's coming along quite nicely, at this point.

As for compiz vs. mutter  - mutter can't even handle half of the crap i throw at compiz. I don't think mutter should replace compiz. it hasn't proven itself, in any measurable way. (regardless of gnome-developer benchmarks....)  just look at all the Nvidia problems.  In VMware my hardware acceleration goes to crap in my guests if using mutter, with compiz - zero performance loss..

Using compiz with vmware, and other 3D applications, is pretty much the same as not using a compositor at all, in my experience (as far as regressions in performance goes). ...With Mutter -  in Firefox i lose 30% of my FPS when i do the firefox4 "hardware acceleration test". Maya is completely unusable, if i use gnome-shell/mutter  - so i find it kind of comical that people actually think Mutter is a good compositor ~ at this stage in the game, it's not at all for any single usage that i may have...In fact, on both my ATI hardware and Nvidia hardware, Mutter is absolutely pathetic in comparison to compiz++. Mutter also suffers from the same x11 related problems as any compositor in Linux can.  Wayland should fix it, though wink

I really do think compiz still has good value, the only other compositor that is as fully featured is Kwin.  But that doesn't help anyone who isn't running KDE, right? lol.

anyway, thanks again MrMars - your theme has been so helpful to me, and i know people are really digging your themes!

jordan

#16 2011-05-15 07:16:39

silent

Last edited by silent (2013-08-21 08:56:20)

#17 2011-05-15 10:18:13

Unia
Website

silent wrote:

Atolm-GTK3 is the only perfectly working theme for 'Gnome3 fallback' that I could find. Unfortunately it is too dark for my taste. All the other themes (including the standard one) have problems with gtk2 scrollbars and therefore look ugly with Firefox etc. I would like to have a real 'clearlooks' gtk3 theme or a real adwaita gtk2 theme (with the white scrollbar), or just a consistent light gtk3-gtk2 theme.

Take a look at this one, I find it to be the best one yet:
http://lassekongo83.deviantart.com/art/ … -208805615

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#18 2011-05-15 11:02:01

silent

Thanks, Unia. Very small difference between gtk2 and gtk3, indeed. I have set it as my theme in Gnome 3. Now I only wish a version with blue scrollbar. wink

#19 2011-05-15 21:26:59

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

silent wrote:

Atolm-GTK3 is the only perfectly working theme for 'Gnome3 fallback' that I could find. Unfortunately it is too dark for my taste.

Edit the css as per your liking e.g I am using Atolm but replaced the "PopupMenu" with Drakglass arrow menu. The color, change the "background-color: rgba(5,5,5,0.6)".

Markku

#20 2011-05-19 14:24:50

MrMars

#21 2011-05-19 14:27:28

Unia
Website

I noticed that your icon set fully works. Did you tweak it in any way? When I use the Faenza icon pack, some things use the gnome icon set; for example the back and next arrow in Nautilus and system tray applications. Got any pointers for me on how I can fix this?

Awesome theme btw, I'll check it out!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#22 2011-05-19 14:48:28

MrMars

put this in the settings.ini of the gtk-3.0 folder of the theme you use:

gtk-fallback-icon-theme = Faenza
gtk-icon-theme-name = Faenza

(replace Faenza as you wish)

#23 2011-05-19 15:03:45

Unia
Website

MrMars wrote:

put this in the settings.ini of the gtk-3.0 folder of the theme you use:

gtk-fallback-icon-theme = Faenza
gtk-icon-theme-name = Faenza

(replace Faenza as you wish)

Knew it had to be something simple! I placed it in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini though, thanks!

#24 2011-05-19 15:23:12

MrMars

writing there doesn't work for me, so i made a symlink to my theme folder....
it's annoying but many people have this issue.

it's for this reason that i made a mistake in giving you the path.

I am glad you solved, though smile

#25 2011-06-01 02:32:16

salixman

I love the fact that you ported Atolm to GTK3! That makes my life wonderful.

I did notice that gtk2 apps look a little odd when using atolm-gtk3, though. Buttons in apps become very square. It looks kind of like an old windows 2000 sort of look, but it still has the atolm colors. I don't know it this has been addressed or if you are aware of it, but I thought I might let you know.

Board footer