You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-07 05:36:42

xCrucialDudex

[SOLVED] GNOME3 remove launcher from panel, Places->... runs Konqueror

So, as many other users I've got GNOME 3 running in fallback mode, and Nautilus manages my desktop (I've icons on the desktop, like in good old GNOME 2). I've two problems, though.

I've created launchers for chromium, gnome-terminal and a custom one for irssi by dragging icons from Applications and desktop respectively. Now, I want to remove them, but there doesn't seem to be an option for that. What files should I edit to remove the launcher from top panel?

When clicking folders, bookmarks or devices from Places menu of the top panel Konqueror is launched instead of Nautilus. I've tried xdg-mime to reassign nautilus.desktop to inode/directory  mime-type, checked defaults.list in $HOME and /usr/share, and I think tried just about anything I could find on Google but to no avail. It just keeps on running Konqueror which is really irritating. Anyone knows how to fix this?

Last edited by xCrucialDudex (2011-07-09 15:00:46)

#2 2011-06-17 06:40:40

dedanna1029

Re: [SOLVED] GNOME3 remove launcher from panel, Places->... runs Konqueror

I have the exact same issues in fallback mode. My Places menu is also loading with Konqueror instead of Nautilus. As well, I'm having issues removing a launcher from the panel; there is no option still (and it appears it's been over a month since you posted, still no answers?).

It seems I accidentally added the disk mounter applet twice. :\

Just found the Alt+right-click the launcher you want to remove; that brings up the menu to remove it.

Still no fix for Places opening in Konqueror. sad

Last edited by dedanna1029 (2011-06-17 06:49:42)

#3 2011-06-17 07:04:56

xCrucialDudex

dedanna1029 wrote:

I have the exact same issues in fallback mode. My Places menu is also loading with Konqueror instead of Nautilus. As well, I'm having issues removing a launcher from the panel; there is no option still (and it appears it's been over a month since you posted, still no answers?).

It seems I accidentally added the disk mounter applet twice. :\

Just found the Alt+right-click the launcher you want to remove; that brings up the menu to remove it.

Still no fix for Places opening in Konqueror. sad

Hey, glad to know I'm not the only one who has this problem!

Alt+RMB click doesn't work for me, it does nothing. However, I've been able to remove launchers, all but for gnome-terminal for whatever reason, by removing corresponding launcher files from $HOME/.config/gnome-panel/launchers. After removing one for gnome-terminal the launcher persisted in the gnome-panel anyway. I doesn't bother me that much because I usually love to have one up there, but as it stands, this a really quirky behavior.

Regarding Konqueror, I've removed KDE completely from my system. It still tries to launch kfmclient. I've re-assigned mime types, rebuilt mime cache database but still to no avail. This is killing me, to be honest with you. I've also setup a new workstation computer in my office and guess what, it works there without any problems. Obviously, I didn't install KDE on that system so somehow KDE breaks mime type associations.

I've tried to ask people on #archlinux and GNOME irc network but no one have ever replied to this question neutral

#4 2011-06-17 18:49:03

shulamy

1  use alt key like you did when you created the launchers.

2  i think it's a problem of defaults.

ezik

#5 2011-06-18 05:37:22

xCrucialDudex

shulamy wrote:

1  use alt key like you did when you created the launchers.

2  i think it's a problem of defaults.

ezik

1. It worked only when I switched the window manager back from Compiz to Metacity. I never created launchers by holding down Alt key, though. I simply drag'n'dropped them from Applications menu onto the panel.

2. Captain Obvious, duh! tongue Seriously, that's what I think too, but as I've said before I've tried just about everything related to this (that what I know of): I assigned default association of nautilus.desktop to inode/directory mime-type, I rebuilt mime cache, I even removed KDE completely and repeated the previous two steps. All to see no changes. Is there anything else I could do to fix this quirk?

#6 2011-06-18 09:20:44

hellnest
Website

Maybe you can do this for folder issue

run nautilus, right click a folder and choose "open with" then set it to nautilus

If you already get rid all KDE stuff how come the konqueror is still exist? hmm

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#7 2011-07-02 21:24:38

dedanna1029

@hellnest, if you'll read again, he said it *tries* to run kfmclient, even though it's not there any more.

That "Open with" changes nothing but normal default apps, for things like browsers, media players, etc. - those are all set correctly, and so is everything with nautilus *except* Places. One can't click on Places, and go to "Open with". There's no option to. Places is Nautilus bookmarks. That's where it comes from. It's an upstream bug.

Last edited by dedanna1029 (2011-07-02 21:32:51)

#8 2011-07-02 21:38:39

dedanna1029

xCrucialDudex wrote:

Hey, glad to know I'm not the only one who has this problem!

Oh, no, you're not. I know of others with the same. A solution was put forth in our forum at bjoernvold, and it didn't do squat here, either. You could try it; log in to KDE, crank up CCSM, and turn off KDE compatibility; I set mine to Metacity. *shrug
As I said it didn't work for me, but it might for you.

xCrucialDudex wrote:

Alt+RMB click doesn't work for me, it does nothing.

It won't if you have compiz going. Switch to Metacity then try it.

xCrucialDudex wrote:

Regarding Konqueror, I've removed KDE completely from my system. It still tries to launch kfmclient. I've re-assigned mime types, rebuilt mime cache database but still to no avail. This is killing me, to be honest with you. I've also setup a new workstation computer in my office and guess what, it works there without any problems. Obviously, I didn't install KDE on that system so somehow KDE breaks mime type associations.

This was quoted purely for @hellnest's benefit. The point being, that they have kfmclient so hard-coded into Places, that Places will want to open with it regardless of whether it's even there or not.

xCrucialDudex wrote:

I've tried to ask people on #archlinux and GNOME irc network but no one have ever replied to this question neutral

Why am I not surprised. I think as I said it's an upstream bug; one which they should fix, but probably won't, because guess what? They want their mutter forced on us. tongue  They don't want us running in fallback.

Last edited by dedanna1029 (2011-07-02 21:40:35)

#9 2011-07-09 14:55:06

xCrucialDudex

Finally, with the help of wonder (IRC nickname) on #gnome@irc.gnome.org I found the cause of this problem and ultimately fixed it.

The quick and dirty fix for this issue is the following:

edit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and find line that starts with:

inode/directory=...

in my case the line looked like this:
inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;kde4-kfmclient_dir.desktop;kde4-cervisia.desktop;kde4-dolphin.desktop;kde4-gwenview.desktop;banshee-1-media-player.desktop;

Note there was no nautilus-folder-handler.desktop file in my system at all, and that is perhaps exactly why kde4-kfmclient_dir.desktop next in the list was tried. I know it doesn't make much sense, since kde4-kfmclient_dir.desktop doesn't exist either but...

change it to

inode/directory=nautilus.desktop;...

Save the file. Check your Places-> ... Now it should work as expected, that is run Nautilus.

This is a really quick and dirty fix. It worked for me at least. In my case I've removed KDE completely from the system, however ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list still contains a lot of MIME type associations with KDE applications, and specifically kfmclient.

If you don't happen to have KDE anymore one way you could go about fixing this file would be perhaps removing everything in it that is KDE related.
If you do have KDE on your system, I'd suggest that you try to temporarily move to a different directory

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list as well as ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

which in my case also contains inode/directory=kde4-kfmclient_dir.desktop, not nautilus.desktop.

This seems like the right direction so I'll leave the most exciting part of poking around to you smile

Last edited by xCrucialDudex (2011-07-09 14:59:22)

Board footer