You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-07 06:51:44

DojoMortal

[GNOME3] Can't log in through GDM (solved)

Hello everyone,

I have a strange issues since I upgraded to GNOME3 :
- Users list does not show up in GDM (I only have the "Others" options) : this seems to be related with ConsoleKit but I can't figure out what's wrong with it…
- The worst issue is that I cannot log in : with the wrong password, it rejects me normally, if I type the right password, it just hangs but GNOME3 does not start.

If I launch GDM via inittab or the daemon, that does not work (it hangs on login), but if I launch GDM manually via a root console (/usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon), I still don't have the users list but I stil can't login !

I reinstalled ConsoleKit, GDM and a part of the dependencies, without any result. GDM's log does not help much as it seems everything is fine to him sad

Has someone already experienced this issue ? Is there a way to solve it or at least to know what is wrong with GDM ?

Thank you very much for your help.

EDIT: I solve the problem myself : MIN_UID in /etc/login.defs was 1000 and the UID of my users starts at 500. Just corrected the MIN_UID to 500 and it works fine smile

Last edited by DojoMortal (2011-05-07 18:21:51)

#2 2011-05-07 12:47:57

DojoMortal

Re: [GNOME3] Can't log in through GDM (solved)

I'm replying to myself : when GDM is started by inittab and I restart it, the authentication part works fine but the users list is still hidden sad

#3 2011-05-07 23:16:33

bwat47

I just had the same thing happen but without the hidden userlist. The UID fix didn't seem to work for me. I try and login in and it goes right back to gdm. I can login as root though.

#4 2011-05-26 10:30:34

Fitoschido
Website

@DojoMortal: How do you fix that? I upgraded to GNOME 3, but the file you cited (/etc/login.defs) isn’t have the MIN_UID parameter. I have to edit it via nano in vc...

Thanks in advance smile

Board footer