You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-22 12:37:19

demonus

AUR and ABS

am I missing something or there is no way to integrate abs with aur so that abs would download all PKGBUILDs and put them under /var/abs/.. (/var/abs/aur seems reasonable) or just integrate it with current tree?

#2 2005-04-22 17:57:49

stonecrest

Re: AUR and ABS

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a way currently - I don't know if it's planned for the future? I was pretty surprised by this as well. You'll just have to grab the ones you want by hand for now.

I am a gated community.

#3 2005-04-23 14:37:10

nuopus

stonecrest wrote:

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a way currently - I don't know if it's planned for the future? I was pretty surprised by this as well. You'll just have to grab the ones you want by hand for now.

Ya ... maybe a dev is reading this. Maybe not call it abs since everything in the AUR is totally unsupported. Maybe create an aur script that does the same thing and just syncs the AUR to /var/aur? This would totally rock.

#4 2005-04-23 18:12:14

Celti
Website

Does the AUR let you grab the PKGBUILDs with cvsup? If so, I'll see if i can hack something like i did with testing (check the sticky up top, if you wanna see that.)

“A stupid person can make only certain, limited types of errors; the mistakes open to a clever fellow are far broader. But to the one who knows how smart he is compared to everyone else, the possibilities for true idiocy are boundless.”  —S.K.Z. Brust

#5 2005-04-23 20:24:32

demonus

I've submitted this as a feature request for AUR already smile let's see what comes out of it

#6 2005-04-28 15:53:49

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

it's easy and works with the existing abs:
/etc/abs/supfile.aur:

#
# /etc/abs/supfile.aur
#

# this is the host containing the extra PKGBUILD files
*default host=cvs.archlinux.org

*default release=cvs
*default delete
*default use-rel-suffix
*default compress

*default tag=AUR
aur

then in /etc/abs/abs.conf add "aur" to the SUPFILES collection.

However, it doesn't work as it should - the server doesn't have the aur section setup as a collection....

#7 2005-04-28 19:42:28

Gullible Jones

My computer wrote:

Connected to cvs.archlinux.org
Server message: Unknown collection "aur"
Skipping collection aur/cvs
Finished successfully

Don't you mean "it doesn't work at all"?

#8 2005-04-28 19:57:46

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

technically, yes... judd just has to setup the aur "collection" in the cvs repo and it sould al be good

#9 2006-10-22 00:51:59

aris002

phrakture wrote:

technically, yes... judd just has to setup the aur "collection" in the cvs repo and it sould al be good

Sorry for replying to the old thread but ... has this been done? Or how to:

#abs -p unsupported

(I've tried different variants of supfiles but without success...)

#10 2006-10-23 07:49:26

Romashka
Forum Fellow

aris002, you should use aur-sync package from AUR to get all Unsupported in /var/abs/unsupported.

to live is to die

#11 2006-10-23 11:53:44

aris002

Big thanks Romashka!
1. Now I've just run aur-sync. It worked but... all the packages were downloaded into one /var/abs/unsupported folder without categorising subfolders like devel, system etc. I'm lost among the packages smile. Ok, I can go to the website and explore but that takes a lot of time!
Also, as I understand now,  AUR packages are not under archlinux cvs control and come from http? That's why pacman and abs don't work?

2. Also, now I realize that there at least 5 scripts for this aur downloading-managment purposes:
1) aur-sync.pl (Perl)
2) aur-install (bash)
3) aurup (bash?)
4) aurscripts (bash?)
5) aurbuild (Python)

(BTW, I added them to the archlinux wiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_User_Guidelines
and, I think, it would be good to have some comparisons between them. Has anyone tried them all?...)

3. Personally, I'm interested if any of these scripts are able to manipulate categories of packages (create subfolders or..?) as on the website (devel, system etc.)?

#12 2006-10-23 12:18:35

Romashka
Forum Fellow

aris002 wrote:

Big thanks Romashka!
1. Now I've just run aur-sync. It worked but... all the packages were downloaded into one /var/abs/unsupported folder without categorising subfolders like devel, system etc. I'm lost among the packages smile. Ok, I can go to the website and explore but that takes a lot of time!

Also note that there are not only Unsupported but Community packages too in /var/abs/unsupported. Also note sergej's warning about time bug.
Maybe sergej will improve his script to download only Unsupported packages and also categorize them by categories automatically.

aris002 wrote:

Also, as I understand now,  AUR packages are not under archlinux cvs control and come from http? That's why pacman and abs don't work?

Not all AUR packages. Only Unsupported, not Community.
For getting only Community packages with abs you should take a look at /etc/abs/abs.conf wink
For getting Testing take a look here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=7154

aris002 wrote:

2. Also, now I realize that there at least 5 scripts for this aur downloading-managment purposes:
1) aur-sync.pl (Perl)
2) aur-install (bash)
3) aurup (bash?)
4) aurscripts (bash?)
5) aurbuild (Python)

7) autoaur (bash, will automatically update all of your packages installed from AUR)
8 ) qpkg (Python, works with non-AUR-apps too)
9) yauort (bash, a wrapper for srcpac with aur support and more)

aris002 wrote:

(BTW, I added them to the archlinux wiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_User_Guidelines
and, I think, it would be good to have some comparisons between them.

Then add 7,8,9 too. Feel free to write (short) comparison of them. wink

aris002 wrote:

Has anyone tried them all?...)

Me, at least. smile

aris002 wrote:

3. Personally, I'm interested if any of these scripts are able to manipulate categories of packages (create subfolders or..?) as on the website (devel, system etc.)?

I did a quick try of all of them long time ago. qpkg, aurbuild and yaourt have received many updates since that time, so I'm not sure. Now I use aurscripts, aur-install, aurup and aur-sync.

to live is to die

#13 2006-10-23 12:29:21

Romashka
Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:

It works only for Community packages because they have CVS.
But they can be downloaded with abs anyway (just edit /etc/abs/abs.conf).

to live is to die

#14 2006-10-23 12:47:47

aris002

1. Ok, I'm trying to get grips on those AUR-DM scripts... smile
2. But... I've got lost among all those community, testing , aur/community, extra/ , community/extra etc. etc and then duplicates? Are there those 2 trees compared side-by-side or is is this just one tree with just categories assigned on the website and then lost when downloaded?
3. Then, one fundamental question- why, if AUR is a separate packages system tree , it does not have its own subfolder e.g  /var/aur?

#15 2006-10-23 13:05:04

Romashka
Forum Fellow

aris002 wrote:

1. Ok, I'm trying to get grips on those AUR-DM scripts... smile
2. But... I've got lost among all those community, testing , aur/community, extra/ , community/extra etc. etc and then duplicates? Are there those 2 trees compared side-by-side or is is this just one tree with just categories assigned on the website and then lost when downloaded?

Current - /var/abs/
Extra - /var/abs/extra/
Unstable - /var/abs/unstable/ (edit abs.conf)
Testing /var/abs/testing (see forum link I posted above)
AUR = Community + Unsupported
Community - /var/abs/community (edit abs.conf)
Unsupported + Community - /var/abs/unsupported (with aur-sync)
You can diff directories to remove Community packages from /var/abs/unsupported

IMHO all categories from /var/abs should be moved to /var/abs/current.
This will reduce confusion. (Then there will be only current, extra, unstable and community (plus testing with a hack and unsupported with aur-sync) in /var/abs which will eliminate clutter.)
But... it's hard to do this change now, because all categories you see in /var/abs and /var/abs/extra reflects the CVS repo structure.

aris002 wrote:

3. Then, one fundamental question- why, if AUR is a separate packages system tree , it does not have its own subfolder e.g  /var/aur?

Why it should? /var/abs is for all information downloaded by abs.
Keep in mind that AUR = Unsupported + Community and all packages from Unsupported are unsupported by Arch team and it's not not supposed to be managed by pacman/abs ever. That's why none of AUR managing tools will get into Community ever. Because then many newbies will start using Unsupported and start complaining about non-working stuff and demand to include some AUR-tools' functionality into pacman, and this will not happen ever.
Search forums/wiki/MLs about why aurbuild/qpkg/yaourt are not in Community and will never be.

to live is to die

Board footer