You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-08 08:13:35

awayand

Detective support: what is going on with pcmanfm and dbus?

Hello again,
thanks for reading and sorry for spamming the forum but I prefer to open one topic per question for simplicity.

I noticed that pcmanfm is putting debug messages into my terminal when I launch it from there which look like this:

** (pcmanfm:3426): DEBUG: device_added: /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sda
** (pcmanfm:3426): DEBUG: device_added: /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sda1
** (pcmanfm:3426): DEBUG: device_added: /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sda2
** (pcmanfm:3426): DEBUG: device_added: /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sda3
** (pcmanfm:3426): DEBUG: device_added: /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sda4
** (pcmanfm:3426): DEBUG: device_added: /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sda5
** (pcmanfm:3426): DEBUG: device_added: /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sda6
** (pcmanfm:3426): DEBUG: device_added: /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sdc
** (pcmanfm:3426): DEBUG: device_added: /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sdc1

that notation looks familiar to me, looks like pcmanfm is sending messages to dbus?

How could I have noticed that pcmanfm is using dbus without stumbling across these debug messages by accident as each program author may or may not provide these? How do I find out from there (meaning: once I have identified what is going to dbus) what is being done with these messages, i.e. how do I follow the sequence of events up until the mounting of my devices? Ideally, I am imagining that there is a command to look at what messages were sent to dbus, then a config file to look at to see what dbus did based on these messages, such that I could deduce pcmanfm -> message to dbus -> look in config file /path/to/config -> mount /dev/sdc1 /media -t vfat

Is this something that can be deduced without having to guess around from merely having experience with linux?

thanks a lot for reading this and thanks for your kind replies!

#2 2011-05-13 02:10:49

schmidtbag

Re: Detective support: what is going on with pcmanfm and dbus?

i don't get it, what is your question?  i don't see a problem with this.  if everything is functioning i wouldn't worry about it.  for example, i can start something like kwrite from terminal and i get a bajillion different notes showing up just from typing or clicking on something like "find" (some of them are debug messages, some are warnings, most of it is disorganized and scrambled info) yet it works perfectly fine.

#3 2011-05-13 03:36:57

yungtrizzle

Those lines are simply logs of what it's doing. Pcmanfm is just logging that it's adding removable devices during start up, no cause for worry

#4 2011-05-14 07:15:26

rwd

You can check which applications have a dependency on dbus with (if that is what you want, your question is a bit unclear)

pacman -Qi dbus | grep Required 

Also as with any commandline output messages and errors just paste them into Google to find out if they are a sign of a problem or just informational.

Board footer