You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-09 05:19:20

rg_arc

Brightness problem with Gnome 3

I can't seem to change the brightness while using Gnome 3.  I have an Acer Aspire 4810TZ and I usually use the "Fn" right/left arrow keys to change the brightness.  I looked at Gconf-editor and I couldn't find a way to modify this problem anywhere.  Anyone else having this problem?

#2 2011-05-09 09:19:26

jeslinmx

Re: Brightness problem with Gnome 3

What graphics card drivers might you be using? I know that the Nvidia drivers break backlight control out of the box, and probably the ATI closed drivers do too.

Lenovo Y450 + Arch x86_64 dual boot with Windows 7 + Openbox standalone + Arch default kernel + Nouveau + yours truly = A lot of *****in' in the Arch Forums.

#3 2011-05-09 09:37:17

rg_arc

$lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
$ 

Well this is what I am using for my graphics.  I am not sure what my driver is... it might be Nvidia...

#4 2011-05-09 09:57:38

ViruSzZ
Website

By default, I had the same issue but I did manage to get my brightness up/down-min/max by using the 'xbacklight' command. Also, I use this simple script binded with the appropriate argument to the appropriate key combination so everything is working just fine.

#!/bin/bash
#
if [ $# -ne 1 ]
then
        exit 1
elif [ $1 == "down" ]
then
        xbacklight - 10
elif [ $1 == "up" ]
then
        xbacklight + 10
elif [ $1 == "max" ]
then
        xbacklight = 100
elif [ $1 == "min" ]
then
        xbacklight = 10
fi

EDIT:

rg_arc wrote:
$lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
$ 

Well this is what I am using for my graphics.  I am not sure what my driver is... it might be Nvidia...

According to that, you need to have the intel driver installed - 'xf86-video-intel'.

Last edited by ViruSzZ (2011-05-09 10:00:55)

Their Momma Made Em, Their Momma Gave em & now she can`t even SAVE`em | My WebLog

#5 2011-05-09 11:33:05

rg_arc

I have backlight installed but for some reason it doesn't change the brightness.  Also, I tried something similar in ubuntu with the key bindings and that didn't work well either.  I have had issues with controlling the brightness ever since.

#6 2011-05-09 12:19:23

ViruSzZ
Website

Do you have a '/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video[0-9]/brightness' file over there? If yes, you can try echoing some value and see if that changes your brightness?

Did you install the intel driver?

Their Momma Made Em, Their Momma Gave em & now she can`t even SAVE`em | My WebLog

#7 2011-05-09 12:21:01

rg_arc

I am sorry... I am bit new to this... I am not sure how to check to see what driver I have

#8 2011-05-09 13:35:11

ViruSzZ
Website

rg_arc wrote:

I am sorry... I am bit new to this... I am not sure how to check to see what driver I have

Yo archer, you should really try to search a little bit regarding this before just saying 'I am bit new to this etc ...'. There are multiple threads on how to change your screen brightness.

As for the Intel driver there is WiKi page dedicated to it .

You can check if a package is installed using 'pacman -Qs'. I strongly recommend you to get familiar with Pacman

Also, what happens if you execute for example 'xbacklight + 10' or 'xbacklight = 100' ? Are you unable to use xbacklight?

Do you have '/sys/class/backlight/{acpi[0-9], acer*}/brightness' ? Did you try adding 'acpi_backlight=vendor' to your kernel line or something similar ?

You should really try to search the forums first and provide all the information you've tried.

Take care.

#9 2012-02-28 17:07:06

plam

I have a similar problem. When I press the buttons for up and down brightness, the brightness bar comes on the screen, and is able to move up and down, but with just one step, and it doesn't change the brightness. It worked until now, but it stopped. the brightness control in system settings doesn't work either. I can set brightness via /sys though. Two days ago the same thing happened on a Fedora 16 box, and oddly enough the problem got solved by reinstalling bash (yum reinstall bash). I tried 'pacman -Sy bash --force' but nothing happened. Is this the correct way of reinstalling a package with pacman? (I'm new to arch)

Board footer