You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-11 09:30:55

cani

Set IP in Gnome 3 Network Manager

Hey Guys,

This might be me missing something really simple and I hope it is as I am quite liking gnome 3 so far and don't want to have to revert to version 2.

The problem

I'm trying to setup four new WiFi points and would prefer to do this off our normal LAN for security reasons so what I was planning to do was connect the WiFi point directly to my laptop give myself a static IP within the correct subnet and configure from there.  What happens is when I connect the LAN cable and go into Network Settings is the status sits on connecting and the options box for the wired connection is greyed out it eventually turns off the wired connection and displays disconnected, obviously there is no DHCP server so it's not going to get an IP but without the options box I cannot set a static IP.  My next thought was no matter i will connect to the DHCP'd network set a static IP then swap the cables but it drops the settings when I swap the cables.  I'm sure I could work out how to setup a static with ifconfig if I spent a few minutes reading but it would be nice to do this from the GUI it seems like a simple enough ask.

Soo the question does anyone know how to setup a static IP from Gnome 3's Network Manager on a LAN without a DHCP server?

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help.

Cani

#2 2011-05-11 12:18:56

sultanoswing

Re: Set IP in Gnome 3 Network Manager

You could avoid Networkmanager altogether for just this application (re-enabling it later). Set up your desired network parameters in rc.conf and run the 'network' daemon at startup.

Once you've configured your network, revert the changes back to networkmanager.

6.5.3.arch1-1(x86_64) w/Gnome 44.4
Arch on: ASUS Pro-PRIME x470, AMD 5800X3D, AMD 6800XT, 32GB, | Intel NUC 7i5RYK | ASUS ux303ua | Surface Laptop

#3 2011-05-11 23:00:26

cani

Thanks for the workaround dude smile I will give it a go tomorrow.

To me this seems like a bug in Gnome but I know they are trying to keep it simple in 3 so i'm not sure whether to report it.. Actually I might look for a gnome IRC channel tomorrow and ask in there.

#4 2011-05-12 04:39:34

sultanoswing

Here's some more info to help you along (just in case you weren't aware):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ng_Network

6.5.3.arch1-1(x86_64) w/Gnome 44.4
Arch on: ASUS Pro-PRIME x470, AMD 5800X3D, AMD 6800XT, 32GB, | Intel NUC 7i5RYK | ASUS ux303ua | Surface Laptop

#5 2011-05-12 17:01:12

limaunion

cani wrote:

Thanks for the workaround dude smile I will give it a go tomorrow.

To me this seems like a bug in Gnome but I know they are trying to keep it simple in 3 so i'm not sure whether to report it.. Actually I might look for a gnome IRC channel tomorrow and ask in there.

You're right, this is a bug, the workaround is to run the following command: 'nm-connection-editor'
HTH.

#6 2011-09-27 09:42:02

akshay2000
Website

limaunion wrote:

You're right, this is a bug, the workaround is to run the following command: 'nm-connection-editor'
HTH.

You rocked! It was simply brilliant workaround. Hope, they add 'Edit Connections' option in the menu or more appropriately, enable the grayed out 'Options' button before the connection is made.

@OP: can we mark the thread as solved now? The solution works!

Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure!
Windows Phone app for Linux!

Board footer