You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-12 20:24:59

Philip_J_Fry

No address record error during installation

Definitely new to linux

I'm following the beginners' guide.  I've got to the point in which I Select Packages and get the error:

Packman preparation failed!
Check /dev/tty7 for errors

When I check /dev/tty7 I see:

Using mirror: ftp://mirrors2.kernel.org/archlinux/$repo/os/x86_64
[LOG] 2011-05-12 13:19:08 *** Executing worker runtime_packages
[LOG] 2011-05-12 13:19:08 *** Executing worker package_list
: : Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from mirrors2.kernel.org : No address record
error : failed to update core (No address record)
error : failed synchronizing any databases

So I've been searching the forum for the last couple of hours.  I've pinged google and the mirror successfully several times so I think my network settings are all gravy.  What I see is that the mirror address has been changed from what I typed in.  I typed: "http://mirrors2.kernel.org/archlinux/core/os/x86_64" and when it runs "core" is changed to "$repo"

This is the only thing I can find, and I have no idea how to keep this from happening.  Any help would be very much appreciated!

#2 2011-05-12 21:53:12

karol
Archivist

Re: No address record error during installation

Update the mirrorlist and run 'pacman -Syy'. We don't use 'core.db.tar.gz' anymore, we now use 'core.db', so the file 'core.db.tar.gz' doesn't exist anymore on the servers.

Edit: Ah, are you installing Arch for the first time?

Last edited by karol (2011-05-12 21:54:48)

#3 2011-05-12 21:58:40

Philip_J_Fry

Yes, installing for the first time.

I'm not sure how to update the mirror list, but it definitely seems out of date since almost none of them seem to correspond to the mirrors listed on: https://www.archlinux.de/?page=MirrorStatus

I simply scrolled to the bottom and typed in a location that is close to me as instructed in the tutorial.  Sorry if I seem totally clueless......It's because I am....

#4 2011-05-12 22:00:27

karol
Archivist

That's our fault, https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22510
You can pick one of the mirrors from http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/all/

#5 2011-05-12 22:02:17

Philip_J_Fry

Excellent! Thank you for your help!!

#6 2011-05-12 22:22:09

Philip_J_Fry

I've used ftp://archlinux.supsec.org/pub/linux/ar … os/x86_64/ this time and I'm still getting the same thing. It still keeps replacing "core" with "$repo"
:-\
I must be missing something?.....

#7 2011-05-12 22:29:15

karol
Archivist

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 85#p491285
I've checked both mirrors and (for some reason) they do have core.db.tar.gz file (the old format of our database) so there shouldn't be a problem in getting it from the server.
Are you behind a proxy or something?

#8 2011-05-12 22:34:04

Philip_J_Fry

I've checked them as well.  Definitely not behind a proxy.  I still can ping the server and I have a really fast response.  It's just that the installer keeps trying to go to "....$repo/os/x86_64" rather than "...core/os/x86_64"

I wonder if there is an error in my image file?  Should I re-download the image and try to re-create my USB?  I'm creating the USB on a windows machine so I don't have the ability (as far as I know) to check the checksum file against my download.

Alternatively I could just manually download the packages to another USB and just point the installer to that?

#9 2011-05-12 22:41:05

karol
Archivist

There are many options, you can e.g. try new installation images. They are not official yet but many people wrote they work fine: http://releng.archlinux.org/isos/
Download the latest one, check if the checksum matches, burn it / put it on a USB and try again.

#10 2011-05-12 22:43:14

Philip_J_Fry

Will do.  This just seems so weird that it can't replace the $repo handle with "core"...?

Thank you very much for your patience and help!  I look forward to getting this going..

#11 2011-05-13 00:11:03

Philip_J_Fry

Grrrr.....

I have recreated the USB key several times with several different downloads of the image.  I can no longer actually boot to a USB key for some reason so I have no idea if this has fixed my original problem or not....

I'm hoping that I haven't somehow corrupted my bios?

#12 2011-05-13 00:13:42

karol
Archivist

Philip_J_Fry wrote:

I'm hoping that I haven't somehow corrupted my bios?

I don't think the image touches the bios in any way. You can try different images - both testing and official, Netinstall and Core.

#13 2011-07-05 22:42:16

stewSquared

I have the same problem as the original poster. From the looks of it, he's either given up or managed to install arch without using the net-install cd.

From what I understand, the problem is that the installer is trying to retrieve 'core.db.tar.gz' instead of 'core.db'. Is there some way I can change this? If not, then isn't the installer essentially broken? As in, I should either just use an offline installation or wait for someone to update the net install disk?

My connection seems just fine, so I've tried a variety of mirrors, hoping one of them will still have the old core.db.tar.gz.

#14 2011-07-06 00:30:05

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps there is a missing element in the mirror selection.

Thus:  from /etc/pacman.d:

Server = ftp://locke.suu.edu/linux/dist/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
#Server = ftp://lug.mtu.edu/archlinux/ftpfull/$repo/os/$arch

The install procedure for dual .iso provides a long list of mirrors and locke is near the bottom.

I installed recently using the above FTP install with no difficulty.

I recommend that following the boot up  after install, the selected server for install should be found as an added entry in /etc/pacman.d at the very bottom and that should be deleted.

As you can see, the preamble includes the name "Server = ftp:".

Mebbe!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#15 2011-07-06 02:47:17

stewSquared

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps there is a missing element in the mirror selection.

Thus:  from /etc/pacman.d:

Server = ftp://locke.suu.edu/linux/dist/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
#Server = ftp://lug.mtu.edu/archlinux/ftpfull/$repo/os/$arch

The install procedure for dual .iso provides a long list of mirrors and locke is near the bottom.

I installed recently using the above FTP install with no difficulty.

The mirror you used worked just great for me! It's also convenient because suu isn't very far from me at all.

I'm now not really sure what was wrong earlier. It looks like it's just the mirror I chose, though I restarted the installation since posting and may have done something differently when setting up the network.

Thanks though! I can't wait to see what arch is all about!

Board footer