You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-15 11:25:54

Shadowduck

[SOLVED] Amilo boot from live CD hangs after UDev uevents processed

Hi Peeps,

In my continuing quest to find the perfect distro (which has been given a new sense of urgency by Ubuntu's change to the truly awful "Unity" desktop), I'd like to give Arch a try. However, I've fallen at the first hurdle...

When I try to boot from the Live CD (2010.05-core-i686), the machine gets as far as "Waiting for UDev uevents to be processed     [DONE]" then blanks the screen. There's a bit of disk activity, then nothing. Strangely, on one occasion (my third or fourth try) the machine did actually boot and I managed to install the OS, but when I try to boot from the install I get exactly the same problem at the same point in the boot. During boot from the Live CD, the only obvious error is "Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 82944". As an experiment I downloaded and burned the netinstall version of the CD, and got the same problem again.

The laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li2735 with four disk partitions; the first contains Ubuntu, the second is the sandbox (currently Arch), the third is my data partition and the fourth is Swap. It runs fine with Ubuntu so I don't think there are any serious hardware problems.

Suggestions on a postcard, please...

SD

Last edited by Shadowduck (2011-05-15 14:51:47)

#2 2011-05-15 13:41:11

marjonis

Re: [SOLVED] Amilo boot from live CD hangs after UDev uevents processed

Hi, you need to disable KMS, if you have intel gpu add to grub "i915.modeset=0", more info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … Setting.29

#3 2011-05-15 14:47:19

Shadowduck

Re: [SOLVED] Amilo boot from live CD hangs after UDev uevents processed

That got it - thanks!

I'd actually looked at that page of the Wiki, but obviously I didn't make the connection. #8-(

Time to go and play!

Board footer