You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-15 15:16:54

mar00n

No Rx on eth0 (wired), fresh install

Hi, I've got one weird problem with my ethernet card, I'm not able to receive any data. It used to work with Ubuntu 10.04 and OpenSUSE 11.8 and under Windows. However, while I was installing Arch, dhcpcd timed out while getting an address. I continued the installation through my wireless connection (which worked perfectly). When I finished installing, I couldn't have internet access since the wireless modules (iwlist, wpa_supplicant, etc.) weren't installed for some reason (BTW, if anyone can help me on installing those modules out of the cd, this could help a lot...).

So I can't access internet now and I'm stuck... I'm on a Toshiba Satellite Pro A210 laptop and the ethernet module is a Realtek RTL8101e/RTL8201e. The kernel driver (r8169) seems to load ok, I tried to reload it with debugging param (modprobe -rv r8169; modprobe -v r8169 debug 16), but everything seemed fine (I checked /var/kernel.log and no errors were seen). For proof, the interface starts fine ('ifconfig eth0 up' works like a charm), but I can't get an ip address through dhcpcd (times out). I checked the ifconfig stats while sending dhcp requests and the weird thing is, Tx packets increment, but the Rx always stay at 0. The link light on the RJ45 port is up and the data light flashes while sending requests. I also tried bypassing my router and going straight in my ISP's modem (which works since the router can give internet access through wifi) and nothing changed. I tried changing the ethernet cable, didn't change a thing...

After that I rebooted under Windows (i have multiboot with windows 7), and that's where things became really strange : the wired LAN doesn't work under Windows now (and it used to not so long ago...). I then tried changing driver options (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … _WOL_issue), updating the windows driver, updating the system BIOS, troubleshooting the ethernet cable and router/modem under windows, etc. Nothing changed. The same problems occur under windows (Tx increments and Rx stays at 0). I also checked the router stats through the wireless connection : my router detects the ethernet card's MAC address when I plug the ethernet cable, it also assigns a normal dhcpd address (so it receives the dhcp requests).

Could this really be a hardware problem (eg: Rx buffers are blown) ?? My ethernet worked right before installing Arch as far as I know... Could the installation have something to do with this? I'm kind of confused... Anyways, if I could only get my wireless working under Arch so that I could access Internet, that would be a good start...

P.S. I'd like to post the output of commands, but since I don't have internet access through Arch and I only have one PC, I have to reboot under windows to go on the forum...

#2 2011-05-15 21:43:18

karol
Archivist

Re: No Rx on eth0 (wired), fresh install

mar00n wrote:

P.S. I'd like to post the output of commands, but since I don't have internet access through Arch and I only have one PC, I have to reboot under windows to go on the forum...

Save the output to a file:

[karol@black ~]$ ifconfig -a > if.log
[karol@black ~]$ cat if.log 
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:09:6B:F3:A8:42  
          inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:939338 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:251922 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:1267079090 (1208.3 Mb)  TX bytes:27331350 (26.0 Mb)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:880 (880.0 b)  TX bytes:880 (880.0 b)

Board footer