You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-15 23:06:18

azripah

[Solved] Can't get into new install

Hello all, new to arch linux so bear with me. I netinstalled from a bootable flash drive created via unetbootin. I wiped out a borked ubuntu partition with gparted on my mint partition and created a new 108 GB ext4 file system for use with arch (rather dislike CLI partitioners) and installed, skipping over a bootloader since I already had grub running in my mint partition. After it seemingly installed properly, I rebooted into mint, ran sudo update-grub, rebooted and selected arch from my grub menu. When it booted, I got the messages

Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/hda3...
Root device 'dev/hda3' doesn't exist. Attempting to create it.
ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device '/dev/hda3'.
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
      Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[ramfs /]#

However, there was a major problem- my usb keyboard won't work! I can't find any of the old PS/2 keyboards at the moment, but if I looked long enough I probably could- not that I guess it would help. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

EDIT: Also, I tried checking out my grub.cfg file in mint to see if it's assigning root as /dev/hda3 instead of (properly) /dev/sda1 but it seems like it's an annoying machine generated one (big commented warning not to edit, basically unreadable).

Last edited by azripah (2011-05-16 01:08:13)

#2 2011-05-15 23:29:56

azripah

Re: [Solved] Can't get into new install

Welp, looks like I fixed it through the arcane art of not caring when a file tells you not to manually edit it. Changed /dev/hda3 (which makes no sense- I haven't seen that label on a drive since I used IDE drives!) to /dev/sda1, boots perfectly and the keyboard works. Possible to mark this thread as solved or something along those lines?

Last edited by azripah (2011-05-15 23:30:39)

#3 2011-05-16 00:35:09

karol
Archivist

azripah wrote:

Possible to mark this thread as solved or something along those lines?

Just edit your first post and add '[solved]' to the title.

#4 2011-05-16 01:08:33

azripah

karol wrote:
azripah wrote:

Possible to mark this thread as solved or something along those lines?

Just edit your first post and add '[solved]' to the title.

Thanks.

#5 2012-01-12 21:40:52

clepto

hello guys, i have the same problem...
i replaced /dev/hda3 with /dev/sda6 which is arch's "/" and run to ubuntu (i have ubuntu's grub 2 installed) sudo grub-update and t found arch on /dev/sda6...
but when i try to boot i get the same error

Board footer