You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-17 06:54:04

Jeaquares
Website

[SOLVED] Function Keys Problem On Dell Inspiron N5010

Yesterday I bought a new laptop (Dell Inspiron N5010) and immediately installed Arch Linux on it. But when I launched the installation framework, I needed to use fdisk to partition my drive manually and to open another tty, ctrl + alt + f2 or up to f7, none of them worked. When I use f4 or f5 for example, it changes the brightness of the screen cause these keys have icons on them which represent the brightness control. So I quitted, took care of that fdisk issue and got back, installed Arch Linux successfully. When launched in GNOME 3, nothing was changed. It still uses f1, f2, ... and so on as "just function keys" without using "Fn" key. It's fine somehow cause my system automatically detected those keys, I can use every single function of my keyboard. But without using Fn key, I can't actually use any fx key for my own use. For example, I can't use Tilda anymore cause when I use only f1, it tries to open monitor control stuff.

So... any ideas?

Edit: It seems that this problem is all about Arch Linux. A friend of mine has the same laptop and he has just tried Mint Debian RC and function keys worked properly. So, there's a problem and it seems it's related to Arch Linux (or maybe Xorg version, somehow?).

Last edited by Jeaquares (2011-05-18 13:07:06)

Reverse psychology is failing miserably.

#2 2011-05-18 11:51:07

xdunlapx

Re: [SOLVED] Function Keys Problem On Dell Inspiron N5010

The function key on my dell laptop was set to the F keys, meaning you have to hit the function key and then an F key to activate the F key. I switched it in the bios so I don't have to hit the function key to activate the F keys. So I would have had to hit Fn+Ctrl-Alt-F1 for example to get to TTY 1. Now since i switched it off in the bios All I have to do is hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to the terminal. But in order to turn off wifi from the F key (for example) I have to hit Fn+F2. It's switched.

#3 2011-05-18 13:00:40

Jeaquares
Website

xdunlapx wrote:

The function key on my dell laptop was set to the F keys, meaning you have to hit the function key and then an F key to activate the F key. I switched it in the bios so I don't have to hit the function key to activate the F keys. So I would have had to hit Fn+Ctrl-Alt-F1 for example to get to TTY 1. Now since i switched it off in the bios All I have to do is hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to the terminal. But in order to turn off wifi from the F key (for example) I have to hit Fn+F2. It's switched.

I can't tell you how this was helpful. I've never noticed that there was an option in BIOS's Advanced menu for this. I updated it as "Function Key" and it solved my problem, thanks.

Reverse psychology is failing miserably.

#4 2011-05-18 13:06:18

xdunlapx

You're very welcome smile I'm glad I could help.

Board footer