You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-18 04:49:31

lowks
Member
Registered: 2011-05-18
Posts: 8

kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

My laptop:

X61 (x86_64)

Kernel:

2.6.38 with laptop-mode enabled

Problem:

When I reboot, halt the cycle will hang and I have to manually power switch it. The problem goes away if I disable the laptop-mode.  There is no problem even when I enable laptop-mode with kernel 2.6.37-5.

Is this a known issue ? Is it being fixed or is there a workaround for it besides disabling laptop-mode ? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lowks (2011-05-18 04:49:49)

Offline

#2 2011-05-25 07:50:20

lowks
Member
Registered: 2011-05-18
Posts: 8

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

bump

Offline

#3 2011-05-25 08:05:44

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,440

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

Are you referring to https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/23748 ?

Kernel 2.6.38 ACPI regressions are still open https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24132

Last edited by karol (2011-05-25 08:07:42)

Offline

#4 2011-05-25 08:11:41

lowks
Member
Registered: 2011-05-18
Posts: 8

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

Ermmm in summary I still can't upgrade to 2.6.37 right ? Is it possible to see the changelog of a package before upgrading using pacman from the cli?

Offline

#5 2011-05-25 08:13:44

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,440

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

lowks wrote:

Ermmm in summary I still can't upgrade to 2.6.37 right ? Is it possible to see the changelog of a package before upgrading using pacman from the cli?

You mean downgrade to 2.6.37? You can and maybe you should until it's fixed.
Only few packages have changelogs but you need to install them first to view them 'pacman -Qc foo'.

Offline

#6 2011-05-25 08:24:35

lowks
Member
Registered: 2011-05-18
Posts: 8

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

after downloading a kernel26 and doing a pacman -U, I get "Load Modules" failed during bootup. Is there something else I am supposed to do ? I downgraded my kernel26-headers as well

Offline

#7 2011-05-25 08:29:46

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,440

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

lowks wrote:

after downloading a kernel26 and doing a pacman -U, I get "Load Modules" failed during bootup. Is there something else I am supposed to do ? I downgraded my kernel26-headers as well

If you have some packages (check IgnorePkg in pacman.conf too) that are kernel-related you need to update (rebuild) them too.
Even if the new image is generated successfully

...
[2011-05-24 11:15] :: Parsing hook [filesystems]
[2011-05-24 11:15] :: Parsing hook [consolefont]
[2011-05-24 11:15] :: Generating module dependencies
[2011-05-24 11:15] :: Generating image '/boot/kernel26-fallback.img'...SUCCESS
[2011-05-24 11:15] ==> SUCCESS

you may run into problems when you forget

[2011-05-24 11:32] WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.36-ARCH: No such file or directory
[2011-05-24 11:32] FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.36-ARCH/modules.dep.temp for writing: No such file or directory

about some modules.

Last edited by karol (2011-05-25 08:30:40)

Offline

#8 2011-05-25 10:01:06

lowks
Member
Registered: 2011-05-18
Posts: 8

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

Right okay. Thanks.

Offline

#9 2011-05-25 15:40:19

diegoviola
Member
Registered: 2010-12-16
Posts: 130

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

isn't this problem the same as this? https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=113985

Offline

#10 2011-05-25 22:28:23

diegoviola
Member
Registered: 2010-12-16
Posts: 130

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

I've submitted a bug report upstream here about the shutdown/reboot issue:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33872

Offline

#11 2011-06-06 02:57:44

lowks
Member
Registered: 2011-05-18
Posts: 8

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

Following that thread blacklisting e1000e on my box seemed to have solved the issue for me.

Offline

#12 2011-06-08 00:31:13

diegoviola
Member
Registered: 2010-12-16
Posts: 130

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

lowks wrote:

Following that thread blacklisting e1000e on my box seemed to have solved the issue for me.

Please report that upstream:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33872

Thanks.

Offline

#13 2011-06-08 01:54:55

lowks
Member
Registered: 2011-05-18
Posts: 8

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

diegoviola wrote:
lowks wrote:

Following that thread blacklisting e1000e on my box seemed to have solved the issue for me.

Please report that upstream:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33872

Thanks.

Yup already did.

Offline

#14 2011-06-08 02:32:06

diegoviola
Member
Registered: 2010-12-16
Posts: 130

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

lowks wrote:
diegoviola wrote:
lowks wrote:

Following that thread blacklisting e1000e on my box seemed to have solved the issue for me.

Please report that upstream:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33872

Thanks.

Yup already did.

Thanks.

Offline

#15 2011-06-15 01:56:32

lowks
Member
Registered: 2011-05-18
Posts: 8

Re: kernel 2.6.38-5 hanging up X61 during reboot/halt

With kernel 2.6.38-9, when I do not blacklist e1000e, I can reboot fine, just hangs during shutdown. As a workaround I had to put 'rmmod e1000e' in /etc/rc.local.shutdown.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB