You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-18 06:10:45

innn

need help with this bothering image flickering

I am experiencing this flicker on some areas of windows , also did on windows xp setting 75 Hz refresh rate there seemed to solve it , but here on arch putting "xrandr -r 75  &" in my .xinitrc has lead to no improvement
the behaviour is most obviuos if I grab a front window from the title bar and drag it around , the window in the back presents this annoying movement of pixels

I have nvidia geforce 4 mx 440 old card , configured nouveau driver
should I try something like vesa or what else cause the image does not seem to stay still like it''s normal and obviusly suspect  future eye sight damage leaving it like this

please help me continue to work from arch

#2 2011-05-20 04:35:16

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: need help with this bothering image flickering

I've never been clear on which refresh frequency is used by xrandr (or Windows for that matter). If you have an xorg.conf file you can independently set HorizSync and VertRefresh in the "Monitor" section. Maybe that will allow you to get rid of the flickering.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#3 2011-05-23 05:33:55

innn

no xorg.conf only 10-monitor.conf and 10-quirks.conf inside directory xorg.conf.d./

I really don't know what to do and why has becomed so hard to have a good video driver even for an old card, Nouveau didn't do it for me I had to regress to Vesa (though I have marked another thread of mine as SOLVED in the newbie corner , it isnt' actually)
when trying to do "xrandr -r 75" and even "...60" I am told they are not available for this size (that is 1280x1024)

My question now is only if someone happens to know of a driver that works for nvidia mx440 ?
when using nouveau I could do "xrandr -r 75" and putting it inside .xinitrc but still not succesful and now taht I use vesa cannot use xrandr.

Last edited by innn (2011-05-23 05:35:33)

#4 2011-05-23 05:47:37

ewaller
Administrator

What are you using for a monitor ?  If it is an LCD monitor, always drive it at it's native frequency (almost universally 60 Hz).  Any other frequency will just cause the the LCD controller to do a frame rate conversion -- often with bad results.

If it is a CRT, never mind.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-05-30 18:06:19

innn

ewaller wrote:

What are you using for a monitor ?  If it is an LCD monitor, always drive it at it's native frequency (almost universally 60 Hz)

I use lcd monitor , I have to give up don't know how to solve it, I guess time will like always for now I've settled for a 1024x768 resolution with nouveau most probably 60 Hz native rate and actually 1024x768 doesn't look that bad for a 17inch even lcd

I am desperate to know how to still find good video driver that just works (like it used to) even for old cards like mine--have to remind it's mx440
nouveau doesn't work for me , the flash is slow in the browser and the nvidia-96xx-all from AUR I didn't managed to install
but this is already another problem,
thank you all for your kind support and if someone has an older nvidia card like I do I hope wouldn't mind to share a working xorg.conf together with a working driver installation

#6 2011-05-30 18:23:30

ewaller
Administrator

What is the native resolution of the LCD?  You really should run it at that resolution and at 60Hz.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#7 2011-05-31 10:46:26

innn

I know. it's 1280x1024 with 60Hz but found it gets me the problem with the subtle shaking of pixels that prompted me to start the topic, anyway thanks , I have patience

#8 2011-05-31 14:54:14

ewaller
Administrator

Have you tried adjusting the clock phase of the monitor (usually done through the On-Screen Menu)?

---

Board footer