You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-18 12:19:32

sylock

Network printers can't be added with gnome-control-center (gnome 3)

I have a fresh installation of Archlinux on my laptop (installed last week). I installed Gnome 3 with gnome-shell.
I installed cups, added cups daemon in rc.conf.

Goal : install a network printer

First try :
- go to gnome-control-center
- clic on "printers" icon
- unlock the interface and enter admin password
- click on the plus icon to add a new printer
- wait for printer discovery
- click on "network" menu
- there I can see network printers (I also see multiple times the same printer in the list, I don't know if this is a normal behavior?)
- I choose one and click on "add"
- then nothing happen for about 10 seconds, then the window disappear and I'm back to the home printer window and
    - I don't have any other windows or wizards
    - my printer is not added

Second try:
- I directly go to the cups admin web interface (http://localhost:631)
- I then go into the admin page, search, add a new printer, choose the driver I want to use and the printer is successfully added

Other issue :
I have an HP Photosmart C6300 at home connected to the LAN by WIFI (this is a wifi printer). When I print on it I get a gnome notification that tells me the printer is not connected, but in the same time it print successfully on it! It talks about dns-sd and I don't know if I can install something related to that?

If someone have the same issue or know a howto related to printing in gnome 3 it would be nice to help me.

Many thanks! wink

#2 2011-05-27 20:58:06

cojoda

Re: Network printers can't be added with gnome-control-center (gnome 3)

I was having similar problems with gnome3 until I installed system-config-printer-gnome, a CUPS gtk frontend.  Seemed to do the trick well enough.

#3 2011-08-30 10:21:23

Wikimig
Developer
Website

Hi,

sylock wrote:

then the window disappear and I'm back to the home printer window and I don't have any other windows or wizards

Had the exact same issue with my HP Photosmart C4780.
I just installed cups, hpoj and hplip (as explained in the wiki BTW smile https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cups#Installing), started cupsd and next time I clicked on "OK" or whatever the label of that button was the printer was added.

sylock wrote:

Other issue : [...] When I print on it I get a gnome notification that tells me the printer is not connected, but in the same time it print successfully on it!

Same here. As the pages get printed I won't have a look at this but still interested to know if someone has a fix.

#4 2011-10-12 07:47:30

gatchan

cojoda wrote:

I was having similar problems with gnome3 until I installed system-config-printer-gnome, a CUPS gtk frontend.  Seemed to do the trick well enough.

This package correct the same problem for me. Thanks!

#5 2011-11-02 23:11:29

PTBM133A4X

Thank you! I also had to install this package to make my HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-one printer work. Still can't get hp-toolbox to load though. It complains theat "warning: Qt/PyQt 4 initialization failed". I'm still looking into it. But hey... I got the printer going for now. Thanks again.

Arch x86_64 as of 01/01/2013

#6 2011-11-03 19:43:07

Wikimig
Developer
Website

@PTBM133A4X: Might not be that but have you checked that the application you are talking of requires python2 ou 3? Same for Qt's version.

#7 2011-11-03 19:53:01

robcat

PTBM133A4X wrote:

Thank you! I also had to install this package to make my HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-one printer work. Still can't get hp-toolbox to load though. It complains theat "warning: Qt/PyQt 4 initialization failed". I'm still looking into it. But hey... I got the printer going for now. Thanks again.

Have you checked that python2 is started instead of python3?
When I was installing the HP proprietary drivers that was one of the problems.

#8 2011-11-06 13:14:02

Wikimig
Developer
Website

@PTBM133A4X: Have you seen this:

New optional dependencies for hplip
    python2-gobject2: for running hp-toolbox

#9 2014-10-06 12:16:15

TheChosenOne

Still the same problem. Solved it by installing hplip and the system-config-printer package.

Last edited by TheChosenOne (2014-10-08 12:02:38)

#10 2015-01-12 14:55:44

likwidsage

cojoda wrote:

This worked after failing to add google cloud printers on arch. Minor difference: it was 'system-config-printer' without the 'gnome' portion, which is probably a simple rename.

#11 2016-03-07 23:36:07

eefret

likwidsage wrote:
cojoda wrote:

This worked after failing to add google cloud printers on arch. Minor difference: it was 'system-config-printer' without the 'gnome' portion, which is probably a simple rename.

Actually the name of the package is: extra/system-config-printer

Board footer