You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-25 10:01:24

geekitus

archlinux setup installation translation

Hi archer's , i'm very happy to say that the french community have  a french archlinux iso.

I know... , it's not really "very very nessecary" but it's too pleasant to install archlinux in this language, and with the good keyboard layout smile

- We have extracted all english lines of the /arch/setup script
- put these on the archlinuxfr wiki
- translated all of them
- generate à patch

project leader and translator : geekitus <geekitus@archlinuxfr.org>
contributor and translator :               cornjump <cornjump@archlinuxfr.org>
contributor and translator :               homer242 <homer242@archlinuxfr.org>
contributor and host : benoitc <benoitc@archlinuxfr.org>

Now if anyone want to translate the installation in an other language, i can give the patch or all the english wich need to be translated

I had also a menu to choose the installation language .

If you choose french language , the french loadkeys is loaded (azerty keyboard) .

choix%20language.jpg

Sans%20titre.jpg

now we work to translate pacman in french (pacman-i18n-fr)

iso : http://www.lanteam-fr.com/archlinuxfr/isos
wiki : http://wiki.archlinuxfr.org/wiki/Cd_arc … _%21%21%21

#2 2005-04-25 15:48:03

Mith

Re: archlinux setup installation translation

my opinion

great job! It sure gives a more welcome feel when you have the installation routine in your "own" language! I mean I'm pretty sure once the installation is over 90+% change the language for whatever Desktop Environment they use anyway.. we should have that for more languages!

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

#3 2005-04-25 17:46:17

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Two points:
1) A suggestion (it might be difficult to do :? ): Maybe let the user choose the keyboard layout (fr, ca-fr, etc.)
2) There is a typo in the 1st screenshot: "Langugage" wink

#4 2005-04-25 18:22:03

geekitus

yes good idea, i will put a menu to choose one of all the keyboard layout witch are on the install iso (for the english and the french language smile ) .  And i will correct  all spelling mistakes on the next iso.

Ps : this project was carried out in only 4 days  with two translators smile  *2 days to translat with the wiki , 1 day to extract all english lines of the arch/setup script  ans 1 day to remastering and verify the iso.

#5 2005-04-25 18:48:34

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Nice job guys! 4 days is awesome.

*cheers*

#6 2005-04-29 17:49:08

geekitus

we have found some new translators to add some new languages like italien, spanish, deutch ..

so , now we try to use gettext for the translation

#7 2005-12-02 18:10:09

geekitus

hi, we have generate a new iso (0.7.1 noodle) with multi-linguage support (for our french community) and with keyboard layout support.

ftp://ftp.archlinuxfr.org/isos/arch-0.7.1-pre-i10n.iso

if anyone want to add a new language, you only need to create a new page on our wiki for our language :

english translation :
http://wiki.archlinuxfr.org/traduction_en

so you just need to copy this page and create a new one with the name of your language (exemples : traduction_PL  or traduction_DU) and translate it ... (or send it to me by mail at : geekitus@archlinuxfr.org)

i will generate a new iso when a new language will be added

#8 2005-12-02 18:14:21

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

merci beaucoup!

#9 2005-12-03 12:23:07

geekitus

i would modifiy a litle the installation setup , but i don't know if anyone will be interested :

for the rc.conf :

when you select the keymap  this will update the rc.conf file with the selected keymap.

for the rc.conf : create a new menu to configure it :
show a select menu to choose the locales and update the rc.conf
show a select menu to choose consolefont and consoletransaltion and update the rc.conf (some people don't know what choices they have)
show a  menu to configure the network and the gateway
use lshwd to show a menu with all needed module and the user will can select the modules and this will update the rc.conf
show all file in /etc/rc.d/*  and the user will can choose what services will start at boot after the installation.
i will can put also some usefull scripts or packages wich are not in the iso in a contrib directory or create a menu to restor grub.

some of this is requested by the french community. I show also a post in this forum to improve the next arch installation, so maybe i will wait the new setup.  the arch setup want to be simple and minimalist and i don't want to change this ..

the problem if i do that , is that the installation of the multilingual iso will be not the official installation ... and i don't really want this .. and i don't want to create another install iso sad  maybe only an iso for the french community wich will be named differently or i will wait ..

Board footer