You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-19 03:00:55

whackedspinach
Website

[ATI Catalyst] PowerXpress error with aticonfig

I recently just re-installed Arch and have been trying to get catalyst-hook installed from the [catalyst] repo.  When the gdm window comes up after a reboot, I can login, but I immediately get an "Oh no!" error.  So, I figured I need to run aticonfig to generate a working xorg.conf for this setup.  I switched over to tty1 and ran:

sudo aticonfig --initial --heads=2 --adapter=0

(I am trying to get a setup with three monitors on two cards.)
That gives me this error:

Found fglrx primary device section
Found fglrx secondary device section
PowerXpress error: Cannot stat '/usr/lib64/fglrx': No such file or directory
Failed to initialize libglx for discrete GPU
PowerXpress error: Cannot stat '/usr/lib64/fglrx': No such file or directory
Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf-0

Well I checked and I didn't even have a lib64 directory, so I made one and symlinked fglrx in there.
Now I get:

Found fglrx primary device section
Found fglrx secondary device section
PowerXpress error: '/usr/lib64/fglrx' must not be writable by group or others
PowerXpress error: '/usr/lib64/fglrx' must not be writable by group or others
Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf-0

I used sudo chmod 600 fglrx, but that didn't help.  What should I do?

EDIT: I just went ahead and symlinked lib64 to lib.  Now it can't find /usr/lib/fglrx/swithclibGL.  Where can I find that?

Last edited by whackedspinach (2011-05-19 03:40:34)

#2 2011-05-19 03:57:08

17.poison

Re: [ATI Catalyst] PowerXpress error with aticonfig

same problem sad
does anyone know how to fix this?

#3 2011-05-19 04:00:48

whackedspinach
Website

Somehow, I managed to reboot and get amdccle to create the correct display setup.  But now Gnome won't work.  I mean, the display manager is there and all, but I don't get the bar or any of that.

Plus, I still get that ugly cursor corruption when it moves to the screen on the other card.
EDIT: Nevermind, it does that to whatever screen it thinks is the rightmost one.
EDIT 2: Just kidding, now that occurs on the left one.  I am confused.

EDIT  3: New Developments!
Alright, I enabled Xinerama in the xorg.conf file and that almost works.  I say almost because whenever I move my cursor from the middle screen to the right screnn (accross cards), it crashes X.  Still though, it is somewhere.

Some form of Gnome seems to be working, although it looks a lot more like Gnome 2 than the version I was using before installing these drivers.  And the title bar is huge.  Like this:
Screenshot-1.png
EDIT 4: This is actually GNOME3's fallback mode since it doesn't like fglrx.  It even reverted to using VESA drivers.

I'll keep working on it.  Any ideas?

Last edited by whackedspinach (2011-05-19 05:03:14)

#4 2011-05-19 05:18:00

ANOKNUSA

I'm gonna chime in and say that I'm looking for a "solution" as well.  The latest version of Catalyst works just fine for me, but I don't know why: after running aticonfig --initial --nobackup  I have a fully functional desktop, even after recieving the "PowerXpress" error and getting some output about "/usr/lib64" not existing.  Everything works, but I don't know why.  catalyst-generator 11.4 + xorg-server 1.10 left me without compositing and poor screen resolution; initially, catalyst 11.5 did as well, but it works now.  Is this an issue with xorg.conf, by chance?  I'd like to know, so as to avoid future problems.  I was unable to glean anything from the "ATI Bar and Grill" thread that might help, nor the AUR comments (I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious here.  neutral)

@ the OP:  sym-linking libraries is a band-aid at the absolute best--come the next upgrade, or maybe the one after it or one months down the line, those sym-links might not mean anything, and will just get in the way.

#5 2011-05-19 05:31:33

whackedspinach
Website

I have never really had anything but trouble with fglrx.  Now I'm trying to go back to the free ones, but I'm still having issues.  gnome-shell refuses to load even with the other drivers installed.  Ugh.

#6 2011-05-25 17:45:14

canuckkat

whackedspinach wrote:

I have never really had anything but trouble with fglrx.  Now I'm trying to go back to the free ones, but I'm still having issues.  gnome-shell refuses to load even with the other drivers installed.  Ugh.

Don't you mean open source ones wink fglrx is free too.

I'm having the same errors as OP. I guess I'll just have to bandaid and find where switchlibGL is heh.

#7 2011-05-25 19:19:59

karol
Archivist

#8 2011-05-31 09:22:38

natostanco

I have the same issues, runnign aticonfig --initial gives that PowerXpress error, Hoever with the xorg.conf it creates I can use X server and window manager, can also run nexuiz even if with a bit slow with 2 many effects, i guess it is the graphiccard performances, I mean, If fglrx was not working 3d apps like nexuiz Wouldn't even run or not? I even get 12000 frames with glx, can I be sure Im currently using fglrx drivers?

Last edited by natostanco (2011-05-31 09:23:19)

#9 2011-06-06 02:25:08

Knot

Yeah I can pretty much confirm that. I can't run aticonfig --initial either.

However, this is the manner in which the bug played out for me.

I had done an upgrade and had then rebooted. I was then confronted with an error message telling me that the theme Ethais could not be found.

On clicking the only button available on that error message, I met with a shell prompt. I tried to run aticonfig --initial, but I got the same PowerXpress error that I've read about on this forum.

I rebooted into Ubuntu (I always triple or quadruple boot, because I break so much stuff that having other OS's is handy) googled the error, and found out that it was mostly a theme bug.

I rebooted into arch, located the file kdmrc and then commented out the Theme line. That did the trick.

As an aside, I'm not sure why aticonfig --initial is no longer working.

Board footer