You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-20 13:14:33

hugecannon

GParted - Resizing boot partition etc.

Hi,

This is what my partitions currently look like:

GParted Output

I'm aiming to have my 'Archroot' partition resized to soak up the ~25GB before it and to have my Archhome partition soak up the 26GB after the swap parition.

The first problem I'm having is that when I went to resize/move the Archroot partition into that space the Gparted gave me warning about me possibly losing data/losing the ability to boot since this partition contains my grub stuff.

The second problem is the fact that my Archhome resize would have to involve removing the swap partition and replacing it again at the end of then newly resized Archhome position. Is it okay to do this?

Also note that the Archroot and Archhome partitions have reasonably important work on them and I don't want to lose any of it.

Thanks in advance,

Huge.

#2 2011-05-20 20:09:30

namelessone

Re: GParted - Resizing boot partition etc.

hugecannon wrote:

The first problem I'm having is that when I went to resize/move the Archroot partition into that space the Gparted gave me warning about me possibly losing data/losing the ability to boot since this partition contains my grub stuff.

Gparted always pops up warnings like that before it resizes stuff. Personally, I have never lost anything from resizing, but there is always a chance of that happening. I strongly suggest backing up important directories (like /etc and /home) before you do this, just because everyone should back up stuff. You'll thank me later when your disk drives crash.

hugecannon wrote:

The second problem is the fact that my Archhome resize would have to involve removing the swap partition and replacing it again at the end of then newly resized Archhome position. Is it okay to do this?

Deleting swap and making it again later is totally fine, but you will have to do two things: first, type

swapoff -a

This will turn off your swap partition to make sure you aren't using it before you delete it. When you are done making the new swap partition, you will need to edit your /etc/fstab for the swap partition's new location ( /dev/sdbn ). Then just type

swapon -a

and you'll be good to go.

#3 2011-05-20 20:36:03

hugecannon

Thanks a lot namelessone,

I'll go ahead and backup my home and etc then do the partition resize.

Will post back with the results wink

#4 2011-05-20 23:15:32

hugecannon

Yep - Worked out just fine.

Thanks again.

Board footer