You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-20 14:18:09

DarioP

Can't get HDMI connection

Dear all,

I'm trying to connect my Asus U36JC to my television using the HDMI interface, but I can't get neither audio nor video.

xrandr see the HDMI port but it always report: HDMI1 disconnected and I can't anyway access to the external monitor.

I was wandering if the hybrid graphics (intel/nvidia) could be the problem. At the moment I'm running Intel driver and the Nvidia graphic card is switched off through acpi_call kernel module, but the VGA out works fine.

I have also been able to use HDMI under windows, so not hardware/connection/tv problem.

Thank you for the help!

Last edited by DarioP (2011-05-20 14:19:09)

#2 2011-05-20 16:13:56

Maroko

Re: Can't get HDMI connection

Hello!

I have Dell Vostro 3500 (Intel GPU + Nvidia 310M) and I cannot use HDMI with internal GPU (neither Linux or Windows), only with Nvidia. It seems, that Intel GPU isn't wired to HDMI port. You say it is working on windows. Are you sure that you are running Intel there? Whenever I connect HDMI in Windows, Nvidia is activated and takes control. Maybe your Asus is this case. Nouveau drivers works, but the are unuseable for me at this moment (no audio, a lot od bugs). You can try to switch to Nouveau using vgaswitcheroo, maybe it will work fine for you.

Anyway, if anyone finds a way how to use HDMI with hybrid GPU without Nouveau, please reply.

Thanks.

#3 2011-05-20 17:47:12

DarioP

So it is a deep software problem hmm

I was running on nvidia when I tried on windows.. I will try again on intel and see what I get.

I tried vgaswitcheroo some times ago but I had very poor results. Maybe I only should apply more also trying the new bumblebee module, but probably I'll wait 'till the 2.6.40 kernel hoping it works without any further work tongue

But what about the fact that X recognize the HDMI port???

#4 2011-05-24 14:44:39

DarioP

I have tried with intel graphic under win: it works fine hmm

#5 2011-05-24 21:43:18

ewaller
Administrator

The only time I have tried this, I found my Intel graphics (GM45 i915) would only find my Television if (1) The HDMI was connected at the time I booted the computer, and (2) The Television was in HDMI mode when I booted the computer.  No guarantees, but that was be experience with my Vizio.  Audio (under KDE) at the time required me to use Jack to get it working (I had to define the HDMI output as a sink).

It has been more than a year since last I tried.  Jack and KDE no longer live on my laptop.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2011-07-18 20:06:55

janck

I am having the exact same problem as thread starter. VGA works fine, but HDMI will not connect. Does anyone have a soltion to this?

Thanks.

Board footer