You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-21 05:45:36

theta

Configuring Wireless Headphones with Mic

I recently purchased the Sennheiser MM400 wireless headphones. With gnome3 they easily pair by using the gnome-bluetooth applet.
Unfortunately they give stereo quality only on the A2DP profile, on which the Mic doesn't work. But if I select the HSP/HFP profile, the mic works but the sound quality gets deteriorated. Is there some way I can use the Mic on the A2DP profile.
I have been unable to locate the bluetooth config files which gnome-bluetooth applet uses so as to try and tweak them. In case Mic support is not possible on A2DP, can I make change the current profile using a bash script - thus I can change it quickly ( with a shortcut).

Regards,
Apoorv

#2 2011-08-04 17:53:05

theta

Re: Configuring Wireless Headphones with Mic

Now that I shifted to openbox and had to configure pulseaudio, I understood that pulseaudio is the magic behind autoconfiguring by headphone using the bluez stack.
It appears that pulseaudio doesn't support mic input on the A2DP profile. Any workaround? or patch that anyone might know of?

#3 2011-08-04 23:05:48

orschiro
Website

It would already help to have a batch script that switches between A2DP and HSP/HFP profile.

Any ideas how to control the switching with a script?

#4 2011-08-05 06:09:56

theta

I don't know exactly, but to start with, using the pactl command to pass command to the pulseaudio server should have such an option. Although I haven't been able to locate what arguments to pass. This will require some amount of reading to be done.

#5 2011-08-05 10:34:50

orschiro
Website

Another thing that bothers me a lot whilst using A2DP is a kind of timeout. That means whenever the headset doesn't receive any data after a while the transfer breaks completely. I'm still visibly connected with my headset but the the sound replay is lacking all the time.

Can you confirm such a behaviour? I'm curious to know if it's a A2DP related problem or some sort of defect of my headset.

Cheers

#6 2011-08-05 10:52:09

theta

If by timeout you mean a lag between audio and video then yes, but not a complete shutdown. I will describe more elaborately.
I recently switched from gnome3 to openbox.

In gnome3 connceting for very very simple and stupid, absolutely nothing to do except change A2DP to HSV/HSP profiles when using the mic for skype or google chat. But yes there was some lag b/w audio/video sometimes which didn't trouble much as I use mplayer and can adjust the audio delay. This was more dominant when the headset remains idle for a large time (3+ min approx) as you say. Another small problem which I faced was that everytime I had to use the headset for google voice I had to reselect my headset as audio output/input in the google settings tab. But this should be realted to the browser (firefox) google plugin not being able to seamlessly use the pulseaudio server.

Now that I shited to openbox (about 15 days back), it became a task to get it to working because of some bluetooth problems (basically using console kit solved the problem). But the above somewhat irritating but usable issues remain. And another issue is that now pulseaudio doesn't semalessly switch between the headset and laptop speakers when the headset gets connected. Rather I have to use pavucontrol to select my headset as output device per application audio stream. I still don't know how to get back what gnome offered, but then openbox is all about customization.

Sorry for the mumbo jumbo, but I wanted to know if you could also offer some help. But in short the answer to your question would be no, the connection doesn't break up. I use a Senheisser MM400. This could be a bluetooth related issue for you or as you say a defective headset.

Although another possiblity is that it could be reated to pulseaudio. Try recreating the problem by not using pulseaudio and manually configuring your /etc/asound.conf for alsa playback over bluetooth. Refer to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=76242) for setting that up.

Regards,
Apoorv

#7 2011-08-10 05:09:46

orschiro
Website

Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to contribute to your problem solving at the moment but I was able to solve the audio delay/ idle problem. Whilst using pulseaudio you need to disable the module-suspend-on-idle.

Therefore comment out the "load-module module-suspend-on-idle" line in ~/.pulse/default.pa or system wide in /etc/pulse/default.pa

Good luck with your problem!

Board footer