You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-21 13:44:42

statc

[gnome3] [xbindkeys] Can't make it start automatically after login

Hi all.

When I upgraded to GNOME3, huge amount of things stopped working, one of them being automatic startup of xbindkeys. Since GNOME 2 I have an entry in "Startup programs" list (in GNOME3 you view it by running `gnome-session-properties`) with Command: "xbindkeys" (without any arguments). The trouble is that after login xbindkeys daemon is not running as it should (it isn't in "ps aux"). If I launch xbindkeys myself, either from gnome-terminal or gmrun, it starts fine. Other "startup programs" also seem to start normally (e.g., I have dropbox in that list). If it matters, I use GNOME3 in "fallback mode". Could anyone help me to make xbindkeys autostart?

#2 2011-05-24 01:08:12

karol
Archivist

Re: [gnome3] [xbindkeys] Can't make it start automatically after login

Have a look at this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 46#p934046

Last edited by karol (2011-05-24 01:14:39)

#3 2011-06-02 12:51:50

statc

Thanks for you answer, but .xinitrc is not processed when logging in through GDM, and I don't like the idea of using WM's startup file for starting up xbindkeys. I use openbox as WM and it has separate startup file, but I'd like to have all startup applications in a single place, and I prefer DE-specific gnome-session-properties to WM-specific openbox's startup file.

Also, could anyone try to reproduce the bug, please? I am going to report this bug to GNOME Bugzilla and want to be sure it is reproducible. To reproduce:
- Have GNOME 3 installed
- Install xbindkeys
- Create ~/.xbindkeysrc (example; this will run `gmrun' when you press Winkey+r, but you won't need to test it). The config should contain at least one command (like in the example), otherwise xbindkeys won't "daemonize".
- Run `gnome-session-properties' and add there an invocation of "xbindkeys" (without any arguments)
- Logout and log in
- Check if xbindkeys in running (e.g., using "ps aux | grep -F xbindkeys" in terminal). If it shows only one result (grep invocation), you have the bug.
- To confirm, run xbindkeys from terminal and, after the command returns, recheck if xbindkeys is running. Now it should be there (if it isn't, something is probably wrong with the config)

#4 2011-06-03 08:37:26

statc

Found a solution: rename ~/.config/autostart/xbindkeys.desktop to other name (I used start-xbindkeys.desktop). Weird, but true.

#5 2011-07-31 15:29:21

statc

Actually it did not solve the problem. I filed a bug report:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=651767

Board footer