You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-23 17:14:24

stumped

[SOLVED] NetworkManager + wireless = segfault

Last week, i had arch installed and everything running perfectly (except for when i kept tinkering with stuff, but the basics worked for what i wanted/needed).

This is how i was setup:

- running i686
- using NetwrokManager and nm-applet to connect to wireless networks
- running gnome-shell (i've actually come to love gnome-shell after some tweaking)

So this weekend, i had to do some ssd swapping between my laptop and desktop to update the firmware on the ssd. Everything turned out well until i started trying to reinstall arch. My first problem was, no matter what i did, trying to put a non-ntfs partition on the empty space on my ssd wouldn't work (it would cause a kernel panic in x86_64 boot disk), and would be returned as a raw partition even after formatting as ext4. So i fixed that problem, after a while.

I got everything backup and running, then proceeded to install/setup NetworkManager and nm-applet. Wired connections work, but whenever i try to connect to a wireless network using networkmanager, nothing happens. So i loaded up dmesg to see what the issue was. I kept getting a gnome-settings-daemon segfault. after rebooting, and starting up nm-applet using root then regular user, i changed from a gnome-settings-daemon segfault to a nm-applet segfault.

So, in a rush/panic that i did something wrong, i reinstalled to the exact configuration i had last week. The same thing happened. Googling the issue lead me no closer to understanding the issue, except for something between sunday and friday had changed. Giving up on networkmanager, i installed wicd to see if it was related to anything hardware.

Wicd works, but i don't like how it is managed compared to networkmanager.

Anyway, here is my dmesg dump, and wheneverything is loaded, it segfaults on libc.so.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, and/or if anyone knows how to fix it?

Oh, and it's happened one about 3 new installs, the same segfaults, the same culprits all with a net install.

http://pastebin.com/vCLVdvZa  <-- segfault is at the very end of the dmesg.

[EDIT]  Seems that my preferred repository didn't have the lates gnom-keyring. Changing to the kernel.org mirror gave me a keyring update, which is now allowing networkmanager to work.

Last edited by stumped (2011-05-23 17:24:36)

#2 2011-05-23 18:55:08

ninian
Website

Re: [SOLVED] NetworkManager + wireless = segfault

I had a similar problem running on IceWM. NetworkManager itself ran okay, but nm-applet would crash on loading. However, with today's update of gnome-keyring, nm-applet seems happy again.

Board footer