You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-24 00:19:08

wolfdogg

[SOLVED] adding lib32-nvidia-utils for wine on top of nouveau safe?

i need some direction here,
im stuck on a WINE installation.  this is my priority right now, but if i need to back off, and fix the graphics drivers, i will do so.  but if i can wait on the graphics drivers, and continue to use my current, then i would like to finish the WINE configuration so that i can move on with some windows apps.  see below;

i have the  nouveau driver for my nvidia geforce 8400gs, its working good, but desktop is a bit slow(KDE 4.6.3).  i aim to speed this up by changing out to the nvidia propietary drivers after im done with this WINE project,  but also, at the same time, before i undertaking that, i would like to focus on the task currently at hand.  I just completed the default WINE installation. As i was going through the wiki, i noticed it recommended i should install lib32-nvidia-utils to help out the performance with WINE.   

so in doing so, it says it conflicts with libgl.  so now, im confused since i dont want to mess up my video configration again(i corrupted my desktop once already, and had to do a reinstall since im new at this) Im going to hold off on this completely until i get an answer.

should i replace libgl with lib32-nvidia-utils, or should i upgrade my graphics driver nvidia proprietary driver first, and  before or after i do this, im not sure if theres a difference between nvidia-utils and lib32-nvidia-utils.  is lib32 geared for WINE only?

thanks.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-05-27 08:32:16)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2011-05-24 01:28:34

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] adding lib32-nvidia-utils for wine on top of nouveau safe?

nouveau depends on libgl, so you would need to uninstall both. Next, you can install nvidia (and ib32-nvidia-utils if you need) .See how your wine project works with nvidia - you can always go back to nouveau.

ib32-nvidia-utils is for general use, it's not wine-related :-)

Last edited by karol (2011-05-24 01:31:17)

#3 2011-05-24 02:16:31

wolfdogg

ok, thank you much.  that answered my question.

im glad my intuition caused me to hold off on libgl, because i thought it might have been used in nouveau.    for now, i will hold off on that.  test out wine as is, which i just installed ffdshow with it, and it worked.       

soon enough ill remove drivers, i found this article http://stillstup.blogspot.com/2010/04/l … s-and.html and install nvidia with its utils.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#4 2011-05-24 02:19:27

karol
Archivist

Just remember that the blog post is over a year old so some things might have changed. You will need to run 'pacman -Rdd foo' (that's 2 d's, not one) to remove w/o dependency checking. For details - see the manpage.

#5 2011-05-25 08:59:03

wolfdogg

thanks for that tip.  so thats just to remove drivers without the hassle of it warning me, to save a few seconds, or is there something else?  or will that allow it to remove it completely, where if i dont run it w/o dependency it will not allow to remove?

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#6 2011-05-25 09:04:37

karol
Archivist

wolfdogg wrote:

will that allow it to remove it completely, where if i dont run it w/o dependency it will not allow to remove?

Exactly! :-)

#7 2011-05-25 22:11:17

wolfdogg

ok, thanks for that!

GitHub  | LinkedIn

Board footer