You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-24 16:03:57

Superewza

[SOLVED] No sound cards detected - /proc/asound missing

Yet another case of 'i've spent too long banging my head on the keyboard so i'm going to run to you for help'. Essentially i've been using OSS since i've installed Arch, worked fine - although there was absolutely no sound in Wine programs no matter what driver i selected so i decided to try using ALSA. This is the start of my problem. Removed all the OSS packages i could find, ! commented the daemon in rc.conf then proceeded to install ALSA... or, some ALSA utilities since it seems to be included in the kernel? Anyway, alsaconf can't find any sound cards. Upon further investigation it seems as though there isn't any /proc/asounds directory at all. Although lspci clearly shows:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

So i'm pretty stumped, no idea where to go from here. I've got ALSA working fine on this machine before, in Arch too... thanks for any help smile

Last edited by Superewza (2011-05-25 12:56:04)

#2 2011-05-24 16:06:59

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] No sound cards detected - /proc/asound missing

'pacman -Qs alsa' please.
Do you have alsa in your daemons in rc.conf?

#3 2011-05-24 16:12:45

Superewza

Thanks for the quick reply.

[****@myhost ~]$ pacman -Qs alsa
local/alsa-firmware 1.0.24.1-1
    ALSA firmware package
local/alsa-lib 1.0.24.1-1
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/alsa-oss 1.0.17-1
    OSS compatibility library
local/alsa-plugins 1.0.24-2
    Extra alsa plugins
local/alsa-utils 1.0.24.2-1
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/pulseaudio-alsa 1-2 (pulseaudio-gnome)
    ALSA Configuration for PulseAudio

I don't believe i do have it in rc.conf... couldn't find anything to that effect in the wiki. But then i got confused by the fact that it says it's included in the kernel? Is the actual name of the daemon alsa?

#4 2011-05-24 18:45:23

Superewza

Added alsa to the daemons list, simply said 'no sound cards found' during start up. I think the issue here is something to do with the /proc/asound directory not existing, i just don't know what to do with that information tongue

#5 2011-05-24 20:36:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

It's not clear if your banging-head-on-keyboard process included reading the wiki's alsa page - if not, you should have a look, as there are some intel-related troubleshooting tips there.

Also, you are required to summarise your issue in the thread title - "Sound" could be about anything.

Last edited by tomk (2011-05-24 20:37:06)

#6 2011-05-24 21:08:51

Superewza

Yup, i had done that. However, my search led to this thread:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119263

Which seemed to be a similar problem but their solution did not help (pacman -S kernel26). But i'm pretty sure by this point it's a problem with my modules (ultimately my own stupidity, but we'll get to that later wink ). This led me here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=18828

Which again didn't present any solutions that worked, however, upon checking my rc.conf again i noticed a blacklisted module by the name of 'soundcore'. I don't ever remember doing that, or could think of any reason why it would exist so i unblacklisted it, rebooted and now it all works - finding sound cards, alsamixer, playing sound. The lot.

All that's left to do now is see if switching from OSS to ALSA actually solved the problem in Wine i wanted it to wink Thanks a lot for all the help guys!

Also - changed thread title.

EDIT: It did fix the problem, OSS is great but it simply does not play ball in the slightest when it comes to Wine.

Last edited by Superewza (2011-05-24 21:18:13)

#7 2011-05-25 08:48:59

tomk
Forum Fellow

Glad you're working again - just one little thing:

Superewza wrote:

Also - changed thread title.

True, but it's still not a summary of your issue. What you want is a title that someone can look at to get an overall idea of the discussion within the thread - in this case, I'd suggest something like "No sound cards detected".

#8 2011-05-25 12:55:22

Superewza

Some people just can't appreciate a joke can they? tongue

#9 2011-05-25 13:25:45

stryder

> i noticed a blacklisted module by the name of 'soundcore'. I don't ever remember doing that, or could think of any reason why it would exist

That was the first thing I thought of when I read your problem. For OSS you are asked to blacklist soundcore to make sure that alsa doesn't get loaded.

Board footer