You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-24 18:09:24

madchine
Website

UPnP AV: I've got the server, now how do I play these files?

I got a Synology DS107+ (a NAS) for my birthday and set about transferring my music collection to it.

Now, I can access the foler as a SAMBA share and ask a local MPD or Rhythmbox or whatever to index those files. HOwever, the DS's menu offer a few other options, that I thought might be more elegant and easy (indexing and reindexing 70Gs worth of files over wireless might be a bit of a hassle). These options include 'Itunes' - DAAP, i presume - which according to documentation is limited to m4a and mp3 and so excludes all my oggs and flacs and Media Server which is this whole upnp dlna av server thing.

I've set it up - the upnp av thing - and mounted it locally with djmount and found that it works. I can browse the files and evrything looks nice and dandy. But djmount just presents me with a file system - that I might just as well have got through SAMBA. Can anybody guide me as to how to set things up locally so I can get some playback? I'm only really interested in music, not video for what it's worth. And are there any inherent advantages to this setup over the SAMBA share? Am i right on the whole indexing thing?

Board footer