You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-24 21:41:47

dioltas

Laptop Crashing Randomly

My laptop seems to be crashing randomly lately.

When it happens X just stops responding.
Can't move mouse etc. Can't switch to another terminal.
Can't seem to ssh to laptop.
Sysrq commands seem to have no effect.

Have to do a hard reboot when it happens.

When it happens, after restarting the touchpad doesn't seem to work.
If I shutdown properly and then reboot the touchpad usually works again.

I've had a look at /var/log/everything.log, but nothing really stands out. Seems to fail entering laptop mode sometimes, but I don't think that could be the problem.

Any ideas on how I can start diagnosing this? Which logs should I be looking at?

It's a hp pavillion dv4000, Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz, 1280mb RAM. I upgraded it from 512MB about 6 months ago but seems to have been running fine since then. Haven't made any other hardware changes that I can think of! Maybe my harddrive or memory is on the way out or something.

Thanks for any help.

#2 2011-05-28 19:01:00

stqn
Website

Re: Laptop Crashing Randomly

If it freezes/crashes it's unlikely there will be anything interesting in the logs IMO, but I may be wrong.

I'd suggest the usual: remove dust from fans, check temperatures, check memory with memtest86+, and check SMART data of the hard drive. I don't think a bad HD would cause freezes though.

If temperatures are going up at your place like they are here, maybe you just need to buy a laptop cooler. Or use the graphic card less.

#3 2011-05-30 00:20:01

gregdwulet

I seem to have the exact same issue with my HP Pavilion dv6-4052, except my touchpad works fine after a hard reboot. It's been happening for a while now.

#4 2011-06-22 19:45:21

dioltas

stqn wrote:

If it freezes/crashes it's unlikely there will be anything interesting in the logs IMO, but I may be wrong.

I'd suggest the usual: remove dust from fans, check temperatures, check memory with memtest86+, and check SMART data of the hard drive. I don't think a bad HD would cause freezes though.

If temperatures are going up at your place like they are here, maybe you just need to buy a laptop cooler. Or use the graphic card less.

I've been keeping an eye on my temperatures lately and I think this is the cause.

So long as I don't let it get too hot it doesn't seem to freeze on me. I've been propping it up and using a fan to cool it down. Last times it froze seemed to be when running wine and when transferring data between hard drives.

Need to remove dust and fluff from the fan and maybe get something to cool it down that's better than propping it up with a book!

Board footer